Totally New At This, Looking For Help Raising Cattle

Help Support CattleToday:

Kingfisher":1za61gdp said:
I wonder what that area looked like 75 years ago before they turned the goats loose.......

Good question. I'm surprised how many goats are around here; I guess they're easier to handle than cattle, even if the coyotes grab a couple every month. I'm surrounded by goat farms (can you call a goat farm a "ranch"?). My neighbor to the west has 300 head of them. I personally couldn't care less about having a bunch of goats.

Ruark":1hca2xx6 said:
Kingfisher":1hca2xx6 said:
I wonder what that area looked like 75 years ago before they turned the goats loose.......

Good question. I'm surprised how many goats are around here; I guess they're easier to handle than cattle, even if the coyotes grab a couple every month. I'm surrounded by goat farms (can you call a goat farm a "ranch"?). My neighbor to the west has 300 head of them. I personally couldn't care less about having a bunch of goats.

When I was a kid dad used to go to your neck of the woods and buy a trailer or two full. He'd rotate them in behind the cows and clean up pasture. Afterwards we'd take 'em north to Fort Worth and sell them for about twice what he'd paid. I hated them. We'd pen them every night. That was about the first time I heard the old addage, "If your fence will hold water, it'll hold goats"

Dave,

I sell split sides for $3.03 lb hanging weight , cut & wrapped and have my beef butchered
at Mauer & Miller in Manchester MD.usda
Everybody loves it, I have a steer that will be ready June 15 this year.
Let me know.

BILL CLAYLAND":1ordgh10 said:
Dave,

I sell split sides for $3.03 lb hanging weight , cut & wrapped and have my beef butchered
at Mauer & Miller in Manchester MD.usda
Everybody loves it, I have a steer that will be ready June 15 this year.
Let me know.

Hey Bill, how much does half a side turn out to be in pounds once it's butchered? And can you give me an idea on how much the butchering will cost? Obviously more if I want the roasts cut into 2 pounders, right?

Dave, Im glad you got with Bill it seems like in purchasing some beef..that is what I was going to reccomend..find a local supplier to buy your beef from...:)

Just to re-iterate..my cattle are quite easy to care for..its the sporatic adrenehline pumping, curse word uttering events (Like my steer who got out from the pasture for the second time this AM..whats the old saying..fool me once, shame on you..fool me twice..shame on me?) that are what entails the most work and headaches.

Sounds like you got it all figured out though.

Yeah I got Bill's pricing and it was nothing like the 6.50 pound the locals here quoted me, but that was for a smaller amount. Bill is not far from me and I sent him a reply but it's stuck in my outbox for whatever reason. Let me know if you didn't get it Bill.

Cracks me up that a thread by a guy so naive about cattle raising that he was thought to be a fraud has lasted 9 pages. And yes my wife thought it was funny when some here thought my questions/comments were so dumb I was jerking their chain. Sorry I caught feelings but it did spice things up.

DaveinMaryland":13zjh0oa said:
Yeah I got Bill's pricing and it was nothing like the 6.50 pound the locals here quoted me, but that was for a smaller amount. Bill is not far from me and I sent him a reply but it's stuck in my outbox for whatever reason. Let me know if you didn't get it Bill.

Cracks me up that a thread by a guy so naive about cattle raising that he was thought to be a fraud has lasted 9 pages. And yes my wife thought it was funny when some here thought my questions/comments were so dumb I was jerking their chain. Sorry I caught feelings but it did spice things up.

:clap: :clap: i was just thinkin the same thing about the 9 pages. but ya got some good answers i imagine and looks like ya got something figured out for the beef as well. also stuck in the outbox i believe means it shows that way until the person you sent a message to opens it. once it is not in the outbox anymore ya know they read it. i could be wrong though.

We did some hi-jacking and got off topic too.

Dave it is good you got hooked up with Bill. I do the same thing Bill does for friends and peers at work. His prices look about right in my opinion.

When you buy hamburger at the local supermarket, you are likely getting meat from as many as 600 different cows. Even hamburger is better if you know where it comes from. My guess is that Bill is straight up and will let you look at the animal you are buying half of. Steak and roast will be a much better grade that what you buy at the grocery stores. You'll see.

Ii have no doubt Bill is a straight shooter. But even if he let me look at his animal first I obviously have no idea what I'm looking for.

I'm doing this for the taste. But I also gotta be honest. I am a huge gardener. But I really can't taste the difference between the veggies I grow and the ones I buy at the store. Now tomatoes and catalope are the exception but I'd love to say that my lettuce or peppers taste better than Safeway but I'd be lieing. I do it because I love it and love the convenience of picking lettuce when I want a salad. So I"m a bit hesitant to say I will taste a huge difference with Bills hamburger. But I want to find out.

DaveinMaryland":1kp14wbq said:
Ii have no doubt Bill is a straight shooter. But even if he let me look at his animal first I obviously have no idea what I'm looking for.
I'm doing this for the taste. But I also gotta be honest. I am a huge gardener. But I really can't taste the difference between the veggies I grow and the ones I buy at the store. Now tomatoes and catalope are the exception but I'd love to say that my lettuce or peppers taste better than Safeway but I'd be lieing. I do it because I love it and love the convenience of picking lettuce when I want a salad. So I"m a bit hesitant to say I will taste a huge difference with Bills hamburger. But I want to find out.

Black Hide havnt ya seen all the commercials :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: just kidding. you will even hambagur you will tell a difference. remember you wont be eating meat that has been sitting on a shelf waitin to sell.

I believe you are right Lon, it will stay in the outbox until it is opened. That of course still doesn't actually mean it has been read!

... and there is no comparison between meat from a beast you have seen and had cut and what you get from the supermarket in my opinion.

dieselbeef":5ukvzpu2 said:
there will be a dif in tatse alright..whether it suits you or not is the question...

So I could end up with 150 pounds of beef that I don't like? That would suck.

DaveinMaryland":rnd8h9cb said:
dieselbeef":rnd8h9cb said:
there will be a dif in tatse alright..whether it suits you or not is the question...

So I could end up with 150 pounds of beef that I don't like? That would suck.
doubtful but it will taste differnt than what you are used to more than likely but after eating it for awhile you won't like the store bought stuff

Latest posts