Totally confused!

Help Support CattleToday:

PapaFat

Reaction score
Ok, I knew this was going to be hard work and require lots of time and effort, but I was not ready for all the fine details like ph levels in the soil, the unlimited types of protein supplements, coral design, all the breeds, weights, all the various types of vaccines and the list keeps going, Who knew feeding some steers could be so complicated, I got fat without any thought to it.

So I guess my question is are their people that will help in ranch management, not with the work but help guide me through this maze of info, kind of give me a plan of attack, so I don't screw this up

Your local Agriculture Extension Agent, County Soil Consevation Office, Local Ranches, neighbors, Sale barn staff, these boards, etc, etc.

If you have enough money you can hire ranch managers..that don't work!.. :lol: Many large operations have ranch managers, and they are usually people with an extensive background in farming, ranching, or showing. Many are educated with Ag degrees. Some will do it for room and board and a small monthly stipend. There was a Longhorn person on here a couple of weeks ago who was in NY (i think) and coming to Tx to manage a herd. Check with him for questions. :)

you can get a working ranch manager.but it will cost you.just take 1 thing at a time an get it going. scott

It ain't nearly as bad as it seems. I use a program I created with Excel. It could be done on paper as well. I would suggest starting off with a folder for each animal. You can keep up with who has had what and when in there. Also make one for pasture-weed control, fertlizer, bushhogging. Pretty soon it will come second nature. It also makes things easier come tax time.

I am also just starting out on my own but I grew up around cattle so that might help me some. Don't worry so much about all the fine details in the beginning. Get a good vet onboard and maybe even a good relationship with your neighbors if they are knowledgeable. Define what it is you plan to accomplish and just take it one day at a time. The PH levels and different minerals, etc. will all come with time and experience. (corral design: after working in "your" designed working pens you will find ways to make them better) The vet can help you with most of it, but do as much studing as you can. Loads of info on the internet and this board too!

1848":2xqk7fvr said:
If you have enough money you can hire ranch managers..that don't work!.. :lol:

I needed to clarify this! What I was refering to is your statement that you didn't need hired help for work...not that a ranch manager don't or won't work! ;-)

PapaFat":2xqk7fvr said:
So I guess my question is are their people that will help in ranch management, not with the work but help guide me through this maze of info,...

PapaFat":2vjlzfzb said:
Ok, I knew this was going to be hard work and require lots of time and effort, but I was not ready for all the fine details like ph levels in the soil, the unlimited types of protein supplements, coral design, all the breeds, weights, all the various types of vaccines and the list keeps going, Who knew feeding some steers could be so complicated, I got fat without any thought to it.

So I guess my question is are their people that will help in ranch management, not with the work but help guide me through this maze of info, kind of give me a plan of attack, so I don't screw this up
A google search for agriculture consultants may help.
Do you have good books on raising cattle?
Look on this site,amazon, etc. for books.
Check out the ag websites of state universities in your area.

My base pay for a year is just $59,500 per annum, plus medical benefits, housing ,work vehicle etc. I am willing to work a 35 hour week, with 2 weeks vacation the first year, and one additional week's vacation every two years.

you must be willing to provide moving expenses, and purchase my current herd at current market prices.

I would also expect profit sharing, and 401 K, and a replacement vehicle every two years.

Interested? :cboy:

Anything worth doing is worth doing poorly to get started.

It doesn't have to be that complicated papafat. You are trying to process way to munch info. Consider this:

1. Can you change the ph of your soil? At what cost? You are growing grass here for cows, grasses such as bermuda are tolerant to a wide range of ph levels. Find out what you have and plant a grass that will thrive in your existing soil. You may already have grass. If so, and the stand is good, don't worry about your ph. Find out what it is, so you will know what fertilizers and additives you need, if any.

2. Go to your local coop or feed story. They will only carry a few choices of protein supplement. This will narrow your choices. You may not even need protein supplement, especially if you're just running steers. Sell them in the fall when the pasture depletes.

3. Corral designs - Assume you are considering designes for working areas. Go look at some other operations in your area. Keep it simple and affordable. No need to break the bank here.

4. If you are running steers, don't worry about the breeds. Most will be crossbreds anyway.

5. If you're running steers, you will do best with weaning age steers. Six to Seven months of age. These calves should be 500 pounds to 700 pounds. Graze them for about 90 to 120 days. They should gain between 200 and 400 pounds during this time. Sell them, they are ready to go to the feedlot.

6. If you are running steers, you can vaccinate with a 7 or 8 way blackleg and you should be okay.

Find a mentor, someone to talk to about the daily activities. Get started with a few. You will learn as you go. You don't have to do this perfect. Mother nature is going to take care of about 80% of what will be involved. You only have to take care of abotu 20%. A mentor can guide you through you part.

Good luck, don't be discouraged. It may seem overwhelming, but it is manageable. Start small and grow it from there.

You can certainly find a manager, but a good one is going to cost you. If a manager is taking care of it, you are not going to learn.

Good luck

SF":2jfqo7vi said:

It doesn't have to be that complicated papafat. You are trying to process way to munch info. Consider this:

1. Can you change the ph of your soil? At what cost? You are growing grass here for cows, grasses such as bermuda are tolerant to a wide range of ph levels. Find out what you have and plant a grass that will thrive in your existing soil. You may already have grass. If so, and the stand is good, don't worry about your ph. Find out what it is, so you will know what fertilizers and additives you need, if any.

2. Go to your local coop or feed story. They will only carry a few choices of protein supplement. This will narrow your choices. You may not even need protein supplement, especially if you're just running steers. Sell them in the fall when the pasture depletes.

3. Corral designs - Assume you are considering designes for working areas. Go look at some other operations in your area. Keep it simple and affordable. No need to break the bank here.

4. If you are running steers, don't worry about the breeds. Most will be crossbreds anyway.

5. If you're running steers, you will do best with weaning age steers. Six to Seven months of age. These calves should be 500 pounds to 700 pounds. Graze them for about 90 to 120 days. They should gain between 200 and 400 pounds during this time. Sell them, they are ready to go to the feedlot.

6. If you are running steers, you can vaccinate with a 7 or 8 way blackleg and you should be okay.

Find a mentor, someone to talk to about the daily activities. Get started with a few. You will learn as you go. You don't have to do this perfect. Mother nature is going to take care of about 80% of what will be involved. You only have to take care of abotu 20%. A mentor can guide you through you part.

Good luck, don't be discouraged. It may seem overwhelming, but it is manageable. Start small and grow it from there.

You can certainly find a manager, but a good one is going to cost you. If a manager is taking care of it, you are not going to learn.

Good luck

Very good advice here.

SF":3kjokz98 said:

SF, this line is destined to become a classic. Did you originate it.

It parallels what I have experienced;
The first time I mess it up, the second time I sort of muddle through and learn a little. The third time I begin to catch on.

PapaFat":1ttnzack said:

The most important thing to remember is that you can make things "over complicated" by thinking too deeply into a problem.

Other than doing the work properly, try to enjoy it and do not let the finer details get to you. Good fences and pens plus some grass is a good start.

Yeah there is a lot more than this - but learn as you go and take pride in your accomplishments.

Have a bit of fun and you'll do ok.

Bez

Ryder":1zhf9ozl said:
SF":1zhf9ozl said:

SF, this line is destined to become a classic. Did you originate it.

It parallels what I have experienced;
The first time I mess it up, the second time I sort of muddle through and learn a little. The third time I begin to catch on.

I did not originate it. I believe that Marion E. Wade orginated it. Not for sure, but that is what I was told once by an executive at the firm he founded.

Medic24 comes at bargain prices but I would buy a good cow/calf management guide to start with....like the folks say,
good fences, good facilities, good friends and then get good cattle. Learning by trial and error can cost you a few years in catch-up.
Just keep asking questions as they come up and the folks on this board will provide a wealth of information....ask BEFORE you spend alot of money and effort.
Good luck....Dave Mc

PapaFat,

You still out there?

Lots of info here for you that you might consider responding to.

Bez

Latest posts