Torn teat.. all good.

Help Support CattleToday:

FullCircleWVa

Reaction score
My favorite cow, Red, calved last year April 1, this year March 31 to a nice simangus heifer. I went up to check on her I want to say around mid March and noticed she had a freshly ripped teat on her front right quarter. Man talk about a punch in the gut, made me sick because she is absolutely my best cow. Thankfully the flies weren't around much yet and I was able to dose the wound with blu-kote twice a day to keep infection at bay. I knew she wouldn't let the calf nurse that quarter because of the soreness and I was afraid that she would lose that quarter to hard milk or something.. WELL, just let it be known a few weeks ago I go to check as usual and see the heifer calf nursing that quarter.. talk about a good feeling. She's got a scar but she still milks all from all 4 and that made me hoop and holler.

I scoured my entire property for any sign of barbed wire down or something that she got caught on and I saw nothing.. I do a good job on keeping trash and random oddities out of the pasture, so I'm not too sure where she got caught up..

Although this worked out A-okay in the end.. is there a better option to blu-kote and bag balm for getting a wound like that under control? I feel as if I got lucky on this one.. but I'd rather be lucky...

Here's her calf and the test after initial treatment. It looked way worse than it turned out and I let that get me anxious but it's okay. I'd rather worry and do something over just not caring at all. 446C893F-8C6B-49D7-B880-E981BD944354.jpegA500FC35-AFC0-437C-8B00-B2F353608BC6.jpegC8EF5201-A9C7-4AC5-B672-B95380F6C325.jpeg

Glad it worked out good because it looked bloody awfull or is the colouring from your Bluecote?
You could try doing nothing with a cut like that, good blood supply so they heal well. Of course there is always the option of having your Vet stitch it up.

Ken

Ken, yes that is from the bluecote. If it was like that initially I think a vet definitely would have been called. Just tried to play it by ear

Do you have ponds they can get into? Snapping turtles can seriously damage teats...
I never even thought of that. There is one pond in the back that I fenced off so they can drink and get to the edge but not in the water. The cut was an inverted V, extreme resemblance to that of what a snapping turtle would do.

Friend of mine has a big dairy and years back his highest producing cow only had 3 teats, she lost one somehow probably stepped on it while getting up.