topline evaluation

Help Support CattleToday:

boone

Reaction score
When visually appraising cattle, many people, myself included , often make comments such as "nice, straight topline". What are the benefits of a "nice, straight topline" and what are the negatives of a not so straight topline? Boone

Flat from shoulders to hooks helps to allow the carrying of more feed in the belly and or a calf without causing eventual breakdown of the spine, swayback in a horse. Flat from hooks through the tail head indicates a lack of tipping of the pelvis. Leastwise those are my theorys.

dun

I won't buy cattle with too much "sway" or a roachback because they don't last as long for me. Seems they break down quicker and are not able to move as easily as they get older. Less movement=less foraging.

cfpinz

I know it comes from looking at dairy cows, but I don't like a cow that is loose and dips behind the shoulder. It probably don't mean anything but it just turns me off.

An animal with the sway behnd the shoulders.. less steak, smaller steaks. Good top line equals more meat and nicer to look at. my opinon. Donna

a good strong loin adds to longevity in cows and to retail product in the calves you send to the sale. Also a good strong and level topline is an indication of a structurally correct animal underneath the topline

dun":2pj0uxwn said:
Flat from shoulders to hooks helps to allow the carrying of more feed in the belly and or a calf without causing eventual breakdown of the spine, swayback in a horse. Flat from hooks through the tail head indicates a lack of tipping of the pelvis. Leastwise those are my theorys.

dun

Not intending to hijack, but I have a "newbie" question. I can guess but what are the hooks?

Thanks,
Alan

Alan":3f148beb said:
dun":3f148beb said:

dun

Not intending to hijack, but I have a "newbie" question. I can guess but what are the hooks?

Thanks,
Alan

Blue is hooks red is pins. Easier to see broadside but you get the idea I hope.
hooks.jpg

Hooks are the hip bones, pins are the pin bones. Dun's picture showed the areas, but I thought you might want the terminology.

Latest posts