Top Ten

Help Support CattleToday:

Lammie

Reaction score
I was thinking the other day, and I came up with a Top Ten list for when you know you are spending too much time bottle feeding calves.

10: You wear your dairy boots more than dress shoes

9: You have a complete set of tumblers labeled "Cargill Animal Nutrition".

8: You have the vet on speed dial.

7: The feed store has
you on speed dial.

6: You have planned your kid's activities around feeding times.

5: You have dish pan hands from washing bottles and nipples

4: You have worn shorts with you dairy boots, (bonus points if someone has taken your picture doing this).

3: You have more medications for you calves than you do for your kids.

2: You have at least one child that has tried licking a mineral block or eating a feed pellet.

And the #1 indicator that you have been spending too much time raising bottle calves:

You and your spouse think that "dinner and a show" is a grilled cheese sandwich at the sale barn.

My wife never eats Hot Dogs except when we go to a auction she always has one. Go figure! Anyway sounds like a good life Lammie. :D :D

Lammie":3gi7gsfn said:
2: You have at least one child that has tried licking a mineral block or eating a feed pellet.

Seems like everytime my daughter (7 yr old) has someone over and we are out in the pasture, I have to get onto her for breaking chunks off the salt blocks and passing them around.

My son asked me if he could have his own salt block to keep in his room. I think he meant it. He hasn't discovered the bag of rock salt I bought for the ice cream freezer - yet.

And you know, everyone has tried at least one range cube. They are a little gritty, but not that bad. :shock:

Lammie":xlcqsqir said:
My son asked me if he could have his own salt block to keep in his room. I think he meant it. He hasn't discovered the bag of rock salt I bought for the ice cream freezer - yet.

And you know, everyone has tried at least one range cube. They are a little gritty, but not that bad. :shock:

:lol: :lol: :lol: (only some folks admit to it)

Lammie":14r6myo6 said:

I guessed I missed out on that one... I'll be sure and check it out next time i get some cubes...

... how about... too much time spent fence fixing.... :x

When asking where the bulldog is, the kids knows it is not "Bond", and by age 3 know all required tools.

You can gauge if the recycled rolled up barbwire is enough to make it for the amount needed to repair without unrolling it.

You are able to rebend used clips back into original shape faster than the kids can find a "good" one in the coffee can.

I can now squeeze on splices without the use of both hands and a leg.

You know the exact position to put the 4-wheeler in and behind which tree to get the best advantage to hooking up the block-n-tackle without flipping it over.

Can anybody tell what I've been doing a lot of lately? :)

Michele

one of my grandchildren ate a spoonful of nitrate the other weekend...I dont think he liked that too much :) ...one of my other grandchildren told him it tasted like sugar...so sure enough he goes and gets into it...until he figures out it tastes like salt instead of sugar :D

I have tried atleast one piece of grain of every feed we have given our horses, cattle or sheep. I haven't tried slat licks though, and I dont think I will. But, there are horse treats that are molassas covered alfalfa cubes, they are like lolipops when I was little :oops:

Last week I tasted a tub of Crystalyx just to show the grandkids that it was mostly molasses. My 25 year old son pointed out to them it had cow slobbers on it. :oops: :oops:

rkm":2dveusxv said:
Last week I tasted a tub of Crystalyx just to show the grandkids that it was mostly molasses. My 25 year old son pointed out to them it had cow slobbers on it. :oops: :oops:

Slobber is bad, but it is better than poop. I learned very young to keep my mouth closed when I am near cattle. They can splatter cow pies all over you.

Thankfully, my son only tried the blocks before they were out in the pasture. He'll change clothes if the calves slobber on him!

I taste everything i feed any of my critters. If its good for them then its ok for me. :p Ever taste liquid feed? mmmmm! :p

Latest posts