Top antibiotics for cattle.

Help Support CattleToday:

S.R.R.

Reaction score
If I were to open your cattle supply cabinet what would be the top 2 antibiotics I would see and why?

LA-300 - less cattle handling - and it's what the beast lady prescribed

Johnnie Walker Blue - in case the LA-300 doesn't work

Micotil - in case the Johnnie Walker doesn't work

AngusLimoX":2e5idqyz said:

Is the wiskey for you or the cattle?

certherfbeef":12nnrrxx said:
AngusLimoX":12nnrrxx said:

Is the wiskey for you or the cattle?

For me cert, just being a smartarse.

I don't like the crap( antibiotics ), any of it, won't use it unless prescribed and only keep it on hand to save a trip into town when shebeast says it needs to be administered.

I never administer "on spec" and keep detailed records of useage.

If everybody else would do the same there wouldn't be "natural" or "organic" markets. Or at least they wouldn't have a justifiable niche.

I use Agrimycin 200 not LA-200 the same stuff you just pay extra for the LA-200 because there is no milk thrown out.

Nuflor for lung problems

Micotil is for a back-up in case there is no response to the nuflor.

Not an antibiotic but I always keep some Banimine on hand for reduction in fever and it seems to make the calf feel better.

S.R.R.":189gxvnx said:
If I were to open your cattle supply cabinet what would be the top 2 antibiotics I would see and why?

Long acting penicillin and Baytril. Penicillin because it handles a myriad of things, and Baytril because it's excellent for respiratory problems in calves. #3 would be terramyacin (sp?) pills for scours.

S.R.R.":20zrwu5e said:

I just looked in my cabinet, the 2 out front were Micotil and LA200. I've wanted to try the A180 but never have.

I also keep Bandamine and oxytocin handy. There was also a bottle of Bo-Se in there. And Lidocaine just because. And of course the big container of asprin boluses.

I still like the idea of the Johnnie Walker, just in case the cow was not restrained properly or not as sick and down as I thought
:idea:

I'm surprised about how popular Micotil is. I won't use it due to the danger to humans. Maybe I'm extra clumsy or something but I've stuck myself at least twice in the last 5 years with other stuff and won't use Micotil due to the risk.
Top 3 antibiotics for us: Oxytetracyline (La200 or generic) Penicillin, Nuflor.

Interesting to read the responces it seems LA2oo takes the cake. Does anyone use Ceftriaxone Sodium or Cephalexin?

Are there any other antibiotics or meds that are that dangerous to humans? I usually don't think about that aspect of them, but should.

S.R.R.":33vy2sp1 said:
Interesting to read the responces it seems LA2oo takes the cake.

I think the main reason you see it so much is because it's one of the few that you don;t have to get from a vet. It probably gets used more then it should when something else would be more effective and in some cases cheaper in the long run

dun

That is why there are many herds that LA 200 has no effect on. It was better than sliced bread when it started getting used around here. Now alot of the guys are going back to pen pro G

nuflor- highly recommended for chest/ lung problems
banamine- has helped with recent problems
I have a cabinet full but those were the two i used most, and the nuflor i highly recommend

mystery74":iqtbyzz6 said:
nuflor- highly recommended for chest/ lung problems
banamine- has helped with recent problems
I have a cabinet full but those were the two i used most, and the nuflor i highly recommend

Banamine just helps them to feel better....it is not an antibiotic it is a pain killer and I think it also helps with fever and inflamation. It us useful to help get them back on their feet and back at the feed bunk.

I use LA 200 or 300 or generics of these. Also keep some sulfa boluses on hand and some AS 700 crumbles.

Latest posts