Took the weekend off with the family

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

Now that I have internet and am not driving...
Got up near the Macon area Friday afternoon, and after getting a feel for the place we get our afternoon hunt started. Dead eye in a ground blind and Jessie and myself in a tall box blind. About 45 minutes before dark a yearling doe steps out and eases through the opening and into the woods again. My wife is starting to get the jitters waiting for her to clear the woods line, being that this is her first time actually hunting. The yearling steps out and she pulls, doe runs 20 yards and falls. Sweet! High fives etc and we wait a few minutes to see if anything else comes in. About 15 minutes later I say screw it, let's get a picture before the light goes on us. But I gotta take a leak first. I'm standing there pissing and she says buck buck buck... I look over and this funky spike is staring at me. Jessie gets her rifle and starts to draw down on it but I grab mine first because she would have to shoot past me. Down it goes. Drag them back to camp and get them cleaned. Codey don't see anything that afternoon.
Day 2. Morning hunt me and Codey in that blind but it's a bust. No pun intended.
Afternoon hunt Codey and Jessie in the ground blind and they don't see anything. Next morning they're in the ground blind, repeat of the first. Nothing
While they are there I'm at camp cleaning up, cooking, being camp cook, and I look down the way and there's a tree with funny looking branches. Then the branches moved and I grab my rifle. Looked like a rosebuds there were so many horns. This rifle has a Timney trigger in it set just a step above slam fire so it's really light. As I bring the rifle down and start to sweep To the right to put the crosshairs on him I put a little too much pressure on it and fired about a foot in front of him.all I could do was laugh
Day 3 they're in the ground blind in the morning. Nothing.
Afternoon hunt they went to the box blind and didn't see anything.
Day 4. This is were it gets funny. Jessie and Codey in the box blind. I'm running interference.Deer steps out Codey blasts it. It meanders into the woods. I hear a second shot 1 minute later. Jessie send me a text she just got one too. So I go to help drag them out but there's only one deer. After much looking, not seeing any blood from codeys deer, we assume he missed. Oh, and it wasn't a doe but was a button buck.
Get back to camp to clean the deer, pack up, clean up and get on the road home.
As I'm cleaning the deer I find 2 slugs. One in the neck(Jessie) one in the shoulder( Codey)
Looks like he nicked the lung an the bullet stopped at the opposite shoulder. Dang thing (stunned I'm sure )wandered back out to be shot in the neck by my wife.
Tag team deer. Good thing too because Codey was extremely discouraged. He knows there will be misses and lost deer in the future.
Rut seems to be about a week away up there. Little buck had stinky tarsals, spike did not.
Needless to say I reworked my trigger so it's not so touchy. :bang:

highgrit":3oxqxj8j said:
Sounds like y'all had fun. Are you going to make some smoked venison sausage??
More than likely. Already have the grind done so we can just thaw out what we want
Shuddup kenny. :lol:

kenny thomas":2hvwpw6l said:
hooknline":2hvwpw6l said:
highgrit":2hvwpw6l said:
Sounds like y'all had fun. Are you going to make some smoked venison sausage??
More than likely. Already have the grind done so we can just thaw out what we want
Shuddup kenny. :lol:
Some sausage might keep me quiet. :banana:
I'll get right on that. Just as soon as you have your airplane ticket in hand

With this bag on my side they will think I am trying to smuggle something on the plane. Small airport is just 3 miles from my house so I might have to hitch a ride from there. Seems like there are a lot of 3 am deliveries from the south so maybe i can get a free ride. The plane never cuts off the engine and only stays on the ground for a couple minutes so I would have to move fast. :nod:

That's where I have it now. I'll get used to it. It's still better than the 7 lb trigger that was in the rifle