Took some pictures...

Help Support CattleToday:

showing71

Reaction score
Hi all, I haven't been around much, between getting a website put together and all the summer activities, and now harvest. But I snapped these pictures for our website and I thought I'd share.
DSCN0940.jpg

Angus cow and Connealy Industry heifer
DSCN0956.jpg

Red Angus x Tarentaise bred heifer
DSCN0959.jpg

Angus x Tarentaise bred heifer
IMG_0195.jpg

5L Hotline Red Angus open heifer
IMG_0199.jpg

Another 5L Hotline Red Angus open heifer
IMG_0882.jpg

Heifer bull. Messmer Judge x Doc Holliday cow (year and a half old)
DSCN0905-1.jpg

Red Angus cow
IMG_0698-1.jpg

Bred Heifer group
IMG_0703.jpg

Red Angus Cow
IMG_0738.jpg

Tarentaise bull (year and a half old)
IMG_0746.jpg

Another Tarentaise bull (year and a half old)

The two Tarentaise bulls at the bottom are nice looking animals.

How long have you had tarentise? How are your experiences with them? Are they making moderate daughters?

Baldie Maker":11hwneb0 said:
How long have you had tarentise? How are your experiences with them? Are they making moderate daughters?
We've been in Tarentaise for 20 years or so. To make a long story short, we made a few mistakes when we first started out by buying cheap and breeding up (wasn't my choice, I was just getting out of diapers). Now we're finally getting consistently good calves. I'm a little biased because my favorites are the Red Angus. The Tarentaise cows are great mothers, they really get after the calves when they are born and are protective. The calves grow extremely well, and mature early. As far as being moderate, traditionally no they are not, but this is something we've really been working on. On average, all of our cows and heifers are between a 5.5 and 6 frame, and with the way we've been selecting, they're a lot thicker than a lot of other herds I've been around. What we've really been getting a lot of interest in is our crossed heifers, both bred and open. I lot of people like the maternal traits of the Tarentaise, but want the looks of the Red or black angus. We sell around 15 Tarentaise bulls a year, a lot of which go on angus based commercial herds. It's interesting for me to hear complements on the pictures of the two bulls because these two are what was left over after selling.

^^^ Actually, most of the original Tarentaise cattle were very moderate. However, during the 80's most TA breeders were chasing growth EPD's to such an extreme that the result was bigger frame sizes & birth weights. With that said, 20 years ago, you could still find quite a few stocky made frame 4.5 - 6 Tarentaise in the US, but probably not in Nebraska, the Dakota's, Iowa or at the NWSS.

BTW, the 2 bulls do look pretty good.

Well that ought to show em! That is some nice stock you have! Will you tell us how you acquired those Tantanize cattle?

It's interesting for me to hear complements on the pictures of the two bulls because these two are what was left over after selling.

Wow!! If they were the leftovers the ones that sold must have been impressive.

Andrew

Thank you all. I'm not sure how exactly dad got started with them. All I really know is he was approached by a guy, and dad thought it might be an interesting idea.

We usually end up keeping the left over bulls as our herd bulls. From our experience, our left overs have performed very well, so I hope our customers are just as happy.

those are some beautiful red angus; i'd be proud+ to own any of them but i'd have to be partial to those two heifers!! how much does that heifer bull weigh?

Your entire herd shows evidence of some very careful plans and management protocols! The Red Angus cows are optimal for the most part. Your are working your plans very well!

DOC HARRIS

DOC HARRIS":3kbi17u6 said:
Your entire herd shows evidence of some very careful plans and management protocols! The Red Angus cows are optimal for the most part. Your are working your plans very well!

DOC HARRIS

Hello. Not trying to derail this thread but how would those T bulls do on a Simmi/Angus Heifer? Merry Christmas.

piedmontese":71q6lnwi said:
man i like that angus x T heifer.is she for sale?
Actually yes, we have about 7 of the Angus x Tarentaise heifers for sale. We sold all of our Red Angus x already.

If I remember correctly Kingfisher, we've sold bulls to guys with cows with simmy in them. For the most part, we've found the Tarentaise bulls cross really well with everything.

Tsmaxx47, I'll look through the records to see when his last weigh was, I'm not sure if he was ran across the scale this fall.

Kingfisher":3j7nwbqm said:
DOC HARRIS":3j7nwbqm said:

DOC HARRIS

Hello. Not trying to derail this thread but how would those T bulls do on a Simmi/Angus Heifer? Merry Christmas.

Hi Kingfisher-

Your question is a subject for an entire series of lessons and studies on "Genetics" and "Cross-breeding Protocols"!

The breeding plans and future agendas for matings and crossbreedings must be very carefully considered prior to engaging in that practice. That is why there are thousands of articles and reports pertaining to that very activity! It is too complicated and intense to attempt to cover ALL of the technicalities in this tread, but a few comments are necessary here.

For ANY mating of two animals to be successful, careful and pre-determined planning must be accomplished BEFORE the actual mating occurs. That is a given of which I am sure everyone who is in the business is aware. However, a great number of times the particulars of Genetics and different breed characteristics are overlooked in the tendency and desire to consider the Breeds only, instead of the Genotype and Phenotype of the individuals involved in the matings. The Growth (Production) traits, along with the particular goals the breeder wishes to achieve as a result of the matings is paramount to the results expected. EVERY mating should be preceded by thought of those factors, and the EPD's taken into consideration to have a better than 50% chance of success with the progeny. Notice that I did NOT say that one should use EPD's "Exclusively" in the decision-making agendas for optimal success in mating results! But common sense and visual appraisal is mandatory if one is expecting to be successful in the livestock business.

Now - having said all of the above rhetoric, here is my Opinion of your proposed Tarentaise x Simmi/Angus heifer mating. The progeny from that type of cross has the possibilities of being excellent for the production of a TERMINAL, feedlot calf. The Maternal Traits of the Angus and Tarentaise genetics are optimal, along with the Carcass Traits of all three breeds involved. By giving consideration to the Production and Growth characteristics of all three breeds in the mix, assuming that "Single Trait Selection" is NOT followed, you should expect some outstanding progeny produced.

Again, bearing in mind, Genotype, Phenotype and Functional Traits are necessary factors to follow for optimal success. By breeding the Best to the Best, every mating has a much better chance for success than hit and miss "hoping" by thinking "Breeds Only".

I think that the Tarentaise x SimAngus cross would produce a PROFITABLE result - and THAT is the Bottom Line in Beef Production! The Tarentaise bulls represented on this thread seem to have much better than average Phenotype, and if the ones that they sold were better than these, you might be well-advised to check out their production possibilities, paying attention to the afore-mentioned Genotype (EPD's) and Functional Traits (Feet, legs, skeletal structure, body capacity and fleshing ability). Those factors are critical for a Terminal operation if you expect to make a maximum PROFIT in the feedlot.

I hope that I have been of some help to you. And a Very Happy New Year to you and your Family!

DOC HARRIS

Just a little info for you who are interested in carcass traits. We took the herd mates of these Tarentaise bulls to a feedlot and just received the carcass info on them. All were either purebred Tarentaise or Tarentaise crossed with red or black angus (all have at least 50% Tarentaise in them). They graded 96% choice, with no YG 4's.

Dylan Biggs":3fdkxw92 said:
Nice photos of good looking cattle.

I like the type and pattern of the Tarentaise bulls.

Do the Tarentaise colored cattle get docked at the sale barn?
No more than any other colored animal. Obviously here, black is king. When we do sell through a sale barn, we always use the same 2 barns, so the auctioneers know us and what we have and talk the calves up some, so they usually aren't far behind what the black hided animals are bringing. I guess that's a perk for going to the same place.