took my highland to vet for health papers

Help Support CattleToday:

brownmule

Reaction score
we took grayson to vets yesterday, we went to the nearest one, he mainly does dogs cats but will work on large animals but doest have holding facility. i got grayson halter/ lead broke while he was at the fair so.. we just walked him up the the trailer and walked him out at the vets . LOL i wanted to walk him in the office and set down w/ him { but was afraid hed slip on the floor tile} announce that grayson cochran is here for his appt LOL his little horns are only about 7 inches long LOL .. im sure that flip "miss daisy and the fluffy poodle out some what LOL i be haved my self.. sure was temping thou... apparently now if you take your cow to vet it has to be tagged.. and reg,,, had to older guy who was leaving the vets office stop and ask me what breed was he i told him a scottish highland.. he was in a new big SUV and an expensive suit. he ask me " is that a dog" now he is hairy, but he has horns! LOL was an entertaining trip non the less

sounds like you had a fun day at the vets.i would have fell over laughing after that cityslicker left .

We have some highland and highland cross here. My daughter just bought a simmental/angus cross pair and the calf is the same age as one of the highland calfs. Its hysterical to see them together, the bigger one is at leat 3xs bigger, but mentally the same age. She walks another one down the road and people just stare. These cattle sure are entertaining! :D

yeah the highlands are great cattle.. we are going to grayson back to vets thursday to have the TB test read and pick up his papers.. on the way were are going to stop at work ( nursing home for quick visit..} the old folks will enjoy seeing him in person.. thay ( like my mules) are like our kids got lots of pic of them LOL i dont have to be at the vets till about 5 gonna hook up and head out about 2 so we have some time to visit...
while working at the fair barn a few weeks ago a farmer friend of our had a Devan X there.. oh what a nice cow she was.... she liked me better than the barn guys LOL i took her extra water,and hay she had a nice baby was crossed w herford. i named him JR. LOL . after working w the highlands those cows are huge! but she had a great temperament.. i would add her to my herd in a min.. if donnie would let her go LOL

This is just too funny!
Greyson is beautiful!How old is he?
I have a cow/heifer calf Highland,but they are the big ones and red.
I'm halter breaking the calf right now. Can you give me any tips on getting them really tame,you know,no kicking and horning and stuff.
These are my first ones,the mom is not tame,but comes for food.
Where in WV are you? Im just north of the tri state area.
Great to meet someone else with coos!
Chris

chris, grayson is 1 yr old, untill we took him to the fair i hadnt touch him since he was born.. well every once in a while i could sneak a pet on the head while i was haying.. we took him to co fair, i was with him every day for a week. i used a cow halter rope. i the first time we had him in the halter i had a big guy hold him LOL he got a bath LOL and a brushing he liked the brushing and the scrubbing but not the rinsing LOL but i didnt get my knees kicked off LOL .. i would clean his stall and brush him he loves his face brushed.. now i can walk up to him in the field and brush him..
the people who was gonna buy him was from ohio, i got his travlen papers and now i havent herd from them.. Gurrr... so i still have grayson.. i guess thats how that goes some times.. i was gonna have him cut at the fair but they wanted him intack..
i am in mid/ southern wv about 6 hrs from columbus oh both my daughters in ohio now, oldest is at OSU, in vet school youngest, lancaster..
good luck w your highland, i think if you could get him in a stall ( carefully) and hand fed him. and start from there.. maybe a few time going and getting a snack with out the others pushing hell come around. grayson was small enough i could shove him out of the way if i need to.. i train mules this is my first highlands.. i had there for 2 yrs , mules 15 yrs.. so im not expert by no means... this is what worked for me... Rose

Hi Rose ,Thanks for the reply.
I have the calf ,Didi, where I can get a rope halter on her when I feed her,then I take her in the barn for more food and touch her all over and brush her.She just is still where you can tell she's scared. I can't just walk up to her in the pasture either.
I have a Haflinger and I kinda know how a horse thinks,but I think coos are different .
The mom I kinda gave up on. She's 7 and sort of wild. I was making progress with her but then I seperatet her from her calf and she seems a little agressive now so I gave up. A farmer told me this is normal during weaning ???
Mules sound like fun!
TTYS,Chris

Hi, it's me again! Hey I just wanted to ask,how much do you feed your Highlands?
I'm getting different answers from everywhere and with no pasture left I want to make sure I feed enough but I also don't want to waste any money by overfeeding.
How is everybody anyways?
Thanks so much,Chris

ufo_chris":2q5dholh said:
Hi, it's me again! Hey I just wanted to ask,how much do you feed your Highlands?
I'm getting different answers from everywhere and with no pasture left I want to make sure I feed enough but I also don't want to waste any money by overfeeding.
How is everybody anyways?
Thanks so much,Chris

Chris, I just put out big round bales of hay and they eat at will.

Took one of my show HEIFERS to the vet to get Tb test and health papers few years back. Well handed the Reg papers to them they were like so what show is this steer for I thought I was going to pass out from lol so much, I was like the last time I looked in the trailer she is a girl ;-)

i feed our round bails also i feed grain every so often if its nasty cold they dont get it every day i dont go any higher protien than 12% from what i have read the highland cant handle high protien wich is good because mules cant handle the high test stuff either.. glad your calfis comming around, i have a 8 yr old cow i got last spring iona she had the calf the frist of the month, she has settled down but i dont ever see her beeing all "friendly' i recpect that..LOL expecialy with those horns . if you try to pet her thru the gate she'll slap your hands... she will no take a bite ofhay from my hand but thats it
i think i should teach grayson to pack,,lol it fliped hikers out when i rode my mules and pack my donkey in the mts bet theyd do a double take pack en my highland lol i have thought about teaching him to pull dont no where id find a yoke that small...lol he'll do any thing for a cookie gale wonder if i could slip him in the mule show lol Rose

Latest posts