Too young to have a calf

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

I reciently Purchased a 10 month old heifer"GelbviehXAngus" and she looked a little bigger in the ribs to be open. I was told she was suppost to open when I purchased her, preg. cheked her yesterday and She is about 7 months along and the calf was very lively and about average size, Her pelvis was pretty good sized, I realize it is to far along to abort her now, so I have to let nature run its course, in the future possibly a c-section? If you have had any expierence with this happening let me know, Thankyou mickey

[email protected]

just wondering... are you positive she is only 10 months old?? she would have had to breed at 3 months... how much does she weigh?

gene

> I reciently Purchased a 10 month
> old
> heifer"GelbviehXAngus"
> and she looked a little bigger in
> the ribs to be open. I was told
> she was suppost to open when I
> purchased her, preg. cheked her
> yesterday and She is about 7
> months along and the calf was very
> lively and about average size, Her
> pelvis was pretty good sized, I
> realize it is to far along to
> abort her now, so I have to let
> nature run its course, in the
> future possibly a c-section? If
> you have had any expierence with
> this happening let me know,
> Thankyou mickey

[email protected]

I would question the age of the heifer if she is 7 months along. We have had them calve out at 18 months with no problems.

> just wondering... are you positive
> she is only 10 months old?? she
> would have had to breed at 3
> months... how much does she weigh?

> gene

I've had to abort a simmental heifer bought at side who was about 6 months pregnant (at 11 months of age)...it can be done, but you risk screwing up the heifer, causing a c-section for an abortion, etc. Frankly, at this point it's better to ensure she has adequate nutrition for growth and fetal development, and prepare for a c-section at calving. Also have adequate colostrum on hand for the newborn calf. If you bought her guaranteed open, I'd call the seller and get my money back, personally.

I would agree Pat! A so-called 10 month old heifer who is 6 or 7 months pregnant is not very probable. [It's like someone's daughter being that pregnant at 9 or 10 years old. Of course, there are incidents of "mature" pre-adolescent girls giving birth at 9 or 10 years old.]. Think the seller didn't know how old the heifer was or he/she told a big fib!!

The age of the calf is certain, I was employed with the farm when this calf crop was born i personally assisted with the birth of this heifer we are talking about, she was out of a first calf heifer, and I personally weighed and tagged the calf when it was born and later purchased her from that farm. I just dont understand how this happened, I know the bull she had to be bred to, a six year old gelbvieh, a very big bull was running with the cow-calf pairs and this is when it had to of happened, and any other calves she was with were all castrated at a young age, so Im trying to see how much of a problem i have got my self into, thanks for all your help--let me know more if you would mickey parsons

[email protected]

I would talk to the vet and see when it will be convenient for him/her/it to be available to do a c-section. I would thne induce labor whe the heifer is very close to calving and have the vets phone number on speed dial. That way if she calves by herself, I have serious doubts about that, atleast the vet could get there in time to do c-section and save the heifer and the calf if required.

dun

> The age of the calf is certain, I
> was employed with the farm when
> this calf crop was born i
> personally assisted with the birth
> of this heifer we are talking
> about, she was out of a first calf
> heifer, and I personally weighed
> and tagged the calf when it was
> born and later purchased her from
> that farm. I just dont understand
> how this happened, I know the bull