Too true

Help Support CattleToday:

The demographics of Kentucky cattle producers is a good example.

The average herd size is 20 head. Over 80 per cent make their living working off-the-farm. Their cattle vocation provides no meaningful contribution to their livelihood. They support their cattle with off-the-farm income. Most undervalue their inputs. Most report a loss. The only reason they could possibly use to justify this insanity: THE LIFESTYLE MAKES IT WORTH IT.

Wife just took a screen photo of that and posted it on her bookface. I am not in that 80%, I reckon we are even crazier we are trying to farm full time. Small farm, with cattle, and branching out into some vegetables, and some other projects possibly in the future.

I am not in the 80% either. Wouldn't trade it for anything year to year. Day to day some sure aren't very good.

Ky hills":rloqalca said:
Wife just took a screen photo of that and posted it on her bookface. I am not in that 80%, I reckon we are even crazier we are trying to farm full time. Small farm, with cattle, and branching out into some vegetables, and some other projects possibly in the future.
Don't expect much more appreciation for veggies... we did that too :)

Edit: Unless you're feeding them to the cows, they really do appreciate it

Nesikep":2jth9vkk said:
Ky hills":2jth9vkk said:
Don't expect much more appreciation for veggies... we did that too :)

Edit: Unless you're feeding them to the cows, they really do appreciate it

True, I raised some sweet corn and pumpkins about 17 or 18 years ago, some folks were pretty picky.

we grew carrots, squash, onions and potatoes.. The cows were definitely the most appreciative customers, they'd run you over to have some.. human customers on the other hand you had to kiss their arse

Latest posts