Too old

Help Support CattleToday:

kenny thomas

Reaction score
Too old to put up square bales by myself. Decided today to square bale 150 bales, rolled the rest. Almost killed me, I loaded, threw it into the barn loft, and stacked it by myself. Not a smart idea. Remembered why I bought the round baler.

It had been probably 15 years since I have square baled any and then only a few. Had a round baler since the late 70's. First one rolled it on the ground. Anyone remember them?
Next time I will just buy a few and have them put in the barn as I have been doing.

:lol: Your "too old" for 150 idiot cubes? Not too old, just out of baling shape. We just in the past few years quit baling as many. We used to 500 acres of idiot cubes...normally with four cuttings. :frowns:

Funny thing, I used to have to be behind the baler when we didn't own a baler and had the hay custom baled. When Dad bought hay equipment in the mid '70s I graduated up in front of the baler. Never had to go behind again. Course, back then we could get haulers that would be on the patch waiting for us to start and Dad didn't cut more than 10 acres at a time so by the time we finished the baling, the haulers were just about done with the hauling. I can handle taking them out of the barn a few at a time, putting them in is better left to someone else. :nod:

1982vett":2rnfo8do said:
I can handle taking them out of the barn a few at a time, putting them in is better left to someone else.

I agree. I would do it myself but being left handed ... well you know ... most people use right handed balers.

Jogeephus":1yz6vtmw said:
1982vett":1yz6vtmw said:
I can handle taking them out of the barn a few at a time, putting them in is better left to someone else.

I agree. I would do it myself but being left handed ... well you know ... most people use right handed balers.
:lol2:

kenny thomas":1l6gxvmu said:
Too old to put up square bales by myself. Decided today to square bale 150 bales, rolled the rest. Almost killed me, I loaded, threw it into the barn loft, and stacked it by myself. Not a smart idea. Remembered why I bought the round baler.

You still got one more time to handle them,or maby two. Out of the barn and then to the cattle.

Cal

Guess you can't hire kids cheap anymore to pick 'em up? Hubby used to do it for 2 cents a bale waaaaay back when. 1 cent for on the trailer, 1 cent for in the barn.

My husband used to do that too MO, I think he got 25 cents a bale.

The two of us unloaded and stacked over 5000 bales one year at the dairy when we couldn't find large squares. NEVER again..

Now we put up usually 200 small second cut and load and unload ourselves. The crappy part is that usually it is so darn hot out that you wear shorts and a tshirt and end up tearing up your legs and arms. Luckily this year that won't be a problem ,no hay. ;-)

Latest posts