Too old to Butcher .... ?

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

Howdy All, I have a "heifer" that will be four this fall. She was bred last Nov/Dec but lost the calf some time in March. No one knows why????

I think i now know the reason - she alwasy Blots up bad after i throw feed to 'em. I think possible the bloat problem might have killed the calf.

I have her out with the bull again. Gonna give her one more chance.

My questions is, am i wasting my time and should i sell her or butcher?

Is a four year old going to be too tough?

Thanks

Alex Fullingim Circle A Ranch Red Bluff, CA

Some of the best beef our family has eaten were the old cows. Marbling, tender, good stuff, so age isn't the issue. Health of the animal at time of butchering is. We talk about sending calves to market at weaning time, because that is when it fits into a ranching schedule and the feedlots' desire. If i were raising a steer for home beef, then around two is about a good time to butcher. I guess that is about the best he will utilize whatever feed I am giving him. I have heard that cattle keep growing for about four years. the rate of growth slows after age two, I think. But, you can butcher any age cow, and you will have good meat, if she is healthy when you do it.

[email protected]

And if she's too coarse and grainey textured, that's what grinders were invented for. And I'll gaurentee that will be the best hamburger you've ever eaten. One problem that just occured to me. If you like very mild almost non-flavored beef, she may have too much flavor for your taste.

dunmovin farms

> Some of the best beef our family
> has eaten were the old cows.
> Marbling, tender, good stuff, so
> age isn't the issue. Health of the
> animal at time of butchering is.
> We talk about sending calves to
> market at weaning time, because
> that is when it fits into a
> ranching schedule and the
> feedlots' desire. If i were
> raising a steer for home beef,