Too much time on my hands

Help Support CattleToday:

Just Curious

Reaction score
Just wondering... Have any of you been bitten by any of your cattle?
I never have been and never worry about it... But on the other hand, I am very cautious when I give my horse a hand full of grain... :)

Yes, giving a scour pill w/o a pill gun, was bitten by back teeth. I about had a calico cat it hurt so bad!

I've been bitten once or twice when messing with medicines or tubes around their mouths. Mashed seems to be more descriptive than being bitten. I sometimes forget they have teeth and also that their top palet is very hard as well. Pain is nothing like what a horse bite on your shoulder blade feels like. Now that is a bite for sure!

I use to have a cow who was very protective of her calf. Well her calf managed to climb through the feeder. My youngest daughter was trying to push the calf back through the feeder and the cow was unhappy about this. The cow couldn't get to my daughter but she put her head through the feeder and bit the girl on the arm. This girl is a cowboy so she wasn't bothered by the angry cow but she was sure shocked when it bit her.

teaching a bucket calves how to eat grain by hand feeding it to them is a free pass for them to bite you all they want. :x oh dang that hurts.

Jogeephus":2tyc7d1e said:
I've been bitten once or twice when messing with medicines or tubes around their mouths. Mashed seems to be more descriptive than being bitten. I sometimes forget they have teeth and also that their top palet is very hard as well. Pain is nothing like what a horse bite on your s
houlder blade feels like. Now that is a bite for sure!
Mashed and grinded is more like it. Make sure you don;t have your fingers exended when you are in that back jaw.

Not by my cows--BUT---it's funny you ask that question.

My Jenny bit the---- out of my arm--TODAY!
Why? I honestly think it was a 'Love nibble'--but her two front teeth got me on both sides of my arm. I will have a mark for awhile. she drew blood. she may be laughing but I wanted to hit her with a steel pipe.

we actually had a 4h steer a couple years ago named chomper. he was a famous biter. he would just reach around while you were fitting him and take a bite out of you. the first time i was bitten was a different steer he took a chunk out of my boot while he was throwing me into a corner. :D I was absolutely shocked. I had never heard of a cow biting someone.

Have been bitten by a horse while saddling it. We have 2 that are off and on bitters.

Most the time when I get bite by my cows it just seems like they are gumming me to death. Doesn't hurt, I also have a weanling calf that still likes to nurse my fingers, coats, blue jeans, etc etc.

I was bitten by a sick heifer while trying to give her a bolus that she spit up. Bled something terrible. Got a bad infection and ended up with a pic line to my heart with antibiotics shipped from the CDC (cocktails) for 12weeks.

Never by a cow....do have a scar on my chest from a horse named Earthquake and that happened in the spring of 1965.
Not even my horse! Dmc

Got bit on top of my head by a stud colt when I kneeled down in front of his pen to pick up something.
Calves that need a bottle have chewed on my fingers. Thought a couple of cows were going to bite this last spring.
Son's horse bit him on the butt this summer, just enough to pinch only.

The front teeth dont hurt too much. But I once got bitten by the back teeth. This kid was holding onto a steer at a show, waiting to go in the showmanship classes. He said to me 'Hey, why's he doing that funny thing with his mouth?' - the bl00dy thing had been choking for the last ten minutes and the kid had no idea. And I mean really choking - eyes bulging and everything. I had my arm down his throat (the steer's, not the kid's) and found a bit of straw lodged in there, but he bit down on my finger with the back teeth, and I kid you not, I lost the tip of my finger. He bit off the tip including the top of my fingernail, and cut right down to the bone a little bit further up on my finger as well. Oh my God that hurt! The first aid ambulance guys just about pissed themselves when I turned up and said I was bitten by a steer.

I luv herfrds":1fztp7ty said:
Got bit on top of my head by a stud colt when I kneeled down in front of his pen to pick up something.
Calves that need a bottle have chewed on my fingers. Thought a couple of cows were going to bite this last spring.
Son's horse bit him on the butt this summer, just enough to pinch only.

OK...I got bit by a bottle calf on the crown of my head! It took forever to heal...I finally had to take SMZ (bactrim) to heal it up.

It would be about healed and start to itch and I'd wind up scratching it, and...well, anyway, I hated to go get my hair cut. The beautician would ask, "What's happened here?" I'd tell her a calf bit me...got to where I wouldn't even go get my hair cut...looked like heck.

I wouldn't even go to the doc for treatment...just hoped the SMZ would help...and it finally did. :oops:

Alice

Do I dare ask what you were doing to be bit on the top of your head by a calf. I'm picturing something and it's not a pretty sight.

Latest posts