Too Much Rain?

Help Support CattleToday:

SPH":9xb2zn34 said:
skyhightree1":9xb2zn34 said:
Does your home owners association frown upon cattle mooing after 10pm ? :shock: :lol2: just joking with you.

LOL! :lol: Yeah I should explain, my folks live at the farm and I live in town about 30 minutes away so I'm basically a minority owner as I still own a few cows in the herd and am the "hired man" if you want to call it that but I keep pretty involved with our cattle operation. Going out there tonight actually so probably going to have some new cattle pictures to share soon. Actually we don't have a home owner's association in our neighborhood thankfully although I found it funny that the monthly newsletter that comes with the water bill had a survey about owning chickens as they were getting inquiries and did not have a set in stone ordinance about it yet and the next month were the results which was quite a fun read to see all the reactions. The town I live in used to be a small rural town that now is gradually becoming a suburb of Des Moines so it's interesting to see how some of the "big city problems" are gradually starting to make new problems for a community that still has a small town feel to it.

no need to explain cattle ownership is not a requirement. I think several on here do not have cattle anymore or what have you. I understand and yea it was a big stink here about allowing back yard chickens and if not mistaken I think you can have them in local cities but only so many per sq ft.

Yeah I can see both sides about the chickens in town debate and many of the suburbs here have some kind of an ordinance in place where if they allow them you can only have a certain number and have to have proper cages and methods to care for them. After just going through selling a home last year and knowing how picky some people can be over things that seem so small or insignificant I probably lean towards no chickens in town. Biggest drawback is what if you were trying to sell your house and your neighbor has chickens? That definitely can scare away potential buyers and decrease value and I don't care if the neighbor even takes good care of them (which is another issue for the ones who don't know how to properly care for chickens.) If you want to raise chickens then get a farm or a small acreage on the edge of town where your immediate neighbors don't have to see them. The best survey comment I saw was if the reason behind owning chickens in town was to be "green" by producing your own fresh eggs and possibly butcher chickens too then why can't someone raise a calf in their backyard for freezer beef? Great point I thought, it's the same concept and a lot of the same issues (nuisances with smell, noise, not staying within their confinements, etc.)

Personally I am against gov't telling you what to do with anything you own. However in subdivisions if you do not have a home owners group in place established along with the neighborhood where everyone had to sign into to be a part of that and to own a home there if they were forbidden you have to follow those rules if no home owners assoc then skys the limits do what you want. Gov't telling me what to do... NO WAY

skyhightree1":26248g85 said:
Personally I am against gov't telling you what to do with anything you own. However in subdivisions if you do not have a home owners group in place established along with the neighborhood where everyone had to sign into to be a part of that and to own a home there if they were forbidden you have to follow those rules if no home owners assoc then skys the limits do what you want. Gov't telling me what to do... NO WAY

Not that simple unfortunately just like the city has ordinances against burning trash and yard debris, noise levels, parking restrictions, etc. I get what you mean by doing what you want but in my opinion if you want that freedom then you should probably live outside of the city limits. I was born and raised on a farm myself but chose a career path that it's more convenient to live in town so I get now why they have what they do in place because even things that are allowed such as the neighbors dog can still cause issues with some people. If you want to get really technical there is probably a covenant on file with the city for each subdivision where it defines certain rules and terms. I know looking for a new home we had to be careful if we got interested in a place to make sure there wasn't anything against building a shed, fence, playset, having a garden, etc. in your backyard because some covenants did not allow those. When some of these places only have about 20 feet between you and the neighbor's house there has to be some kind of courtesy else chaos would break out amongst neighbors and in town you can't always choose your neighbors.

Hey I understand I grew up on a farm moved to suburbs in a gated community with home owners assoc. I woke up and said this isn't me now I moved back to the farm built a house and am happier now and my kids are too. I make a 50 minute commute atleast 3 days a week to my office I rent. I understand fully I am just saying I don't like gov't in my business. The nhood I was in had to have same mailbox same mulch same driveway NO SHEDS same fencing etc When I woke up off my stupor I said to myself if they want all of that they need to pay for this house then.

OK, back on topic. Here are the closer pictures requested. Thoughts?

Cherry Tomato Plant. Still seems somewhat healthy except of the lower bit but there are some green tomatoes on it.
tomato_zps4a05dce8.jpg

Bell pepper plant that I just noticed this morning still has a bit of life left but curious to see if it recovers enough to be a healthy enough plant
pepper_zps577897fd.jpg

Bell pepper plant and jalapeno plant that it's safe to assume are both lost causes
dead_zps79313b93.jpg

Sorry, but it still looks like disease to me. The tomato looks like blight, which is primarily fungal.
I'm not as familiar with peppers, but the dark areas encircling the stems, and that they are dying from the root up are also indicative of disease. I did a very quick search and based on what I found, I'd say it's also likely to be fungal. Your overly wet conditions are the primary contributing factor.

Cut off the diseased leaves on the tomato. Same with the one surviving pepper. Remove the dead plants. Burn or bag all of this, do not compost it. Treat liberally with a fungicide spray, and retreat in a couple of weeks if your're still within the harvest period for the specific fungicide. They just might survive, but I would still try to get replacement plants. Do not plant them in the same place, your soil is contaminated now. It may have been there before as well. Plant brassicas or legumes in that area for the next several years, but not nightshades or cucurbits.
FWIW, Try to spray when pollinators are not around, there are concerns that fungicides may be a problem for bees. It's not yet proven, but still worthwhile to reduce exposure.

CottageFarm":3lihmrvh said:
One more thought... do you use any weed/feed type products on your lawn?

I haven't on this lawn yet. I'm very careful if I do not to use the clippings once I have. I'm still skeptical about it being disease but I'll spray some fungicide to be on the safe side. Just based on the kind of weather we had when these plants went south I'm still leaning more towards too much moisture, it was VERY soggy for some time. The soil literally got to a point it couldn't hold much more water and even the lawn made squishy noises when you walked on it

SPH":36fwilaw said:
CottageFarm":36fwilaw said:
One more thought... do you use any weed/feed type products on your lawn?

I haven't on this lawn yet. I'm very careful if I do not to use the clippings once I have. I'm still skeptical about it being disease but I'll spray some fungicide to be on the safe side. Just based on the kind of weather we had when these plants went south I'm still leaning more towards too much moisture, it was VERY soggy for some time. The soil literally got to a point it couldn't hold much more water and even the lawn made squishy noises when you walked on it

I didn't think so, but I figured it was best to rule it out as a possibility.
The fungicide won't hurt the plant. It may not help it either, but it's the approach I would use under the circumstances.
I had a bad bout with blight 2 years ago. I lost about 90 tomato plants out of close to 200 planted. The fungicide saved about another 30 plants, although production was noticeably reduced on those plants. Good luck, I hope they come back for you!!

An update on this, so 1 of the 3 pepper plants survived as did the cherry tomato plant. Never sprayed any fungicide on any of it and they both were pretty healthy this summer. Transplanted another tomato plant in the same spot as the one that died, it too grew just fine, July was a pretty dry month here... That is until we got dumped with a ton of rain again in August where we got around 4.5" in a 48 hour time span to go with some other storms that made things pretty soggy around here once again. Lost the tomato plant again as well as the pepper plant. At least got a few tomatoes and peppers from them before all was lost but a pretty disappointing year, cherry tomato plant is still very healthy and producing. Surprisingly I am still getting some green beans which I never remember still getting some picks this late in the year before.

Bottom line I think next spring I am going to work on the grade so any runoff from the neighbors drains away from it better or something. It seems like it should already be enough grade to drain away but I must be taking on more runoff from the neighbors during big storms than I think. Pretty sure that parts of the garden are getting too saturated so may need to bring in some more dirt to build it up some more and maybe create some kind of "ditch" along the fence to channel the runoff away more since my lot has enough grade it would run towards the street.

Latest posts