Too much grass

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
Got a 30 acre plot of coastal grass that I don't know what to do with. with all of the rain I have more grass than I need. I've got 40 bales of hay from last year with only 17 cows and my hay field is exploding from all of the rain and no place to store any new hay. What should I do with my hay field? Let it grow, shred it down, burn it when it goes dormant, damn shame to waste. I was thinking of shredding it down but not sure if I should or not, help me out fellas.

I run stockers with my cows when I have that problem. Seems silly to let grass waste.

If the field is fenced then run cows on it. They will trample what they don't eat and the biomass is the best fertilizer you can apply. You may need the additional organic matter to hold moisture in the future.

If you are in a farming community you may have someone who would pay you per bale to let them cut it? Even if you gave it to another farmer to cut it would save you the fuel cost and time of shredding it.

thanks guys, I'm in central Texas, lee county, would love to sell it, buyers are welcome, planning more cows next year as well as a hay barn for storage, county is full of hay producers, it is fenced but has been open for grazing along with the other 220 acres, no water in that field so I can't close the cows in. Gone from famine to feast over the last 2 years. New field, planted 3 years ago, first cut last year and grass was too high with too many stems in the 93 5 x 5 bales that came from 2/3rds of the field that was cut once.(almost 5 bales per acre)

Deerwood Farms":1diqngj4 said:
thanks guys, I'm in central Texas, lee county, would love to sell it, buyers are welcome, planning more cows next year as well as a hay barn for storage, county is full of hay producers, it is fenced but has been open for grazing along with the other 220 acres, no water in that field so I can't close the cows in. Gone from famine to feast over the last 2 years. New field, planted 3 years ago, first cut last year and grass was too high with too many stems in the 93 5 x 5 bales that came from 2/3rds of the field that was cut once.(almost 5 bales per acre)

There is always some one needing hay. Put an add in the paper or some thing. When some one wants it.. cut it. There are quite a few people who only buy hay every year. Its cheaper than making hay fields.

Deerwood Farms":2x49fz6j said:
thanks guys, I've made some calls and found a solution. You guys are great help for us rookies.
You have a "good" problem. Hope everything works out great. ;-)

Latest posts