Too much corn gluten

Help Support CattleToday:

lunker

Reaction score
Read my reply to 'sick bull' post

Has anyone else had this experience.

Evidently my vet has , because he knew exactly
what was wrong when I told him what I was feeding.

It only effected one of the calves(a very greedy calf)

lunkerdunker

My vet says to make sure that you mix the gluten with other feeds. He says it will ruin their livers and can cause them to die if fed straight gluten for a long time. We bought a good, registered cow from some folks who feed their cows well and keep them in very good condition. I think they were feeding gluten. This cow's liver shut down on her and she became very sick, after about $200.00 worth of vet bills, the vet determined that it was her liver and of course she died.

The one thing with DDG's is you had better be using a top of the line mineral. If your mineral and vitamins are not balanced you are looking for a wreck. I've fed straight gluten pellets as a creep feed and find it is the best for calves on cows. Also it will not burn their gut like a corn/oat ration can.

Angus Guy":3ousqvkd said:
The one thing with DDG's is you had better be using a top of the line mineral. If your mineral and vitamins are not balanced you are looking for a wreck. I've fed straight gluten pellets as a creep feed and find it is the best for calves on cows. Also it will not burn their gut like a corn/oat ration can.

One year that was all we fed as a supplemnt. The extra lisestone to balance out whichever it is that is in excess can cause health problems. Other that, standing behind them when they cough was the only problem we had

dun

Bructer":1oz2z4fx said:
We dont have corn around here and I have to ask the question, "what is corn gluten"?

Cheers,

A buy product from distilling ethanol

dun

I fed a lot of Gluten last year and had no problems with it. It is only about 4.5% roughage so you can't feed it alone, also it can raise their phosphorus levels so you got to feed a lot of calcium with it. Don't know anything about the liver problem. I am feeding it this year to cows on stalks. Good protein source and a good energy source too. No starch. A good cheap supplement.

if your feeding DDGS or Gluten dont' let the cattle run out of feed or water. Keep the mineral levels correct in the ration and you'll be jsut fine. We had a train wreck with DDGs by not having the proper levels of thiamine in the ration and it killed 15 calves before we knew what was happening.

Latest posts