Too Much Black

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

We have about a 250 head base herd mostly consisting of angusX and about 40 charloisX cows lately I've been noticing that we have been getting a little to much angus in the herd because we are losing the docility that we used to have what are some of the crosses that you all have used that work in your area we are based in north central kansas and like in most areas have a better market for black cattle than colored thanks for the help

[email protected]

You will get lots of different opinions on this one. I would recommend black Simmental or Simm/Angus on your AngusX. We have both reg. Simmental and Angus and they make an excellent cross. Both good maternal with Simmental yield and gain to go with Angus marbling.

> We have about a 250 head base herd
> mostly consisting of angusX and
> about 40 charloisX cows lately
> I've been noticing that we have
> been getting a little to much
> angus in the herd because we are
> losing the docility that we used
> to have what are some of the
> crosses that you all have used
> that work in your area we are
> based in north central kansas and
> like in most areas have a better
> market for black cattle than
> colored thanks for the help

I would maintaine that it's ot too much Angus but too much of the wrong angus. But Simmenthal or Gelbvieh crossed on your cows or maybe even better Balancer or Simangus. But whatever you use, including straight angus, watch the disposition.

dun

> We have about a 250 head base herd
> mostly consisting of angusX and
> about 40 charloisX cows lately
> I've been noticing that we have
> been getting a little to much
> angus in the herd because we are
> losing the docility that we used
> to have what are some of the
> crosses that you all have used
> that work in your area we are
> based in north central kansas and
> like in most areas have a better
> market for black cattle than
> colored thanks for the help

Dun is right on.

There are good and bad disposition cattle in all breeds, but in general Gelbvieh and Simmental have better dispositions than Angus.

Since your cows have a high percentage of Angus you are also giving up many of the advantages of hybrid vigor.

If your calves are eventually being sold on a grid basis that pays healthy premiums for high grading cattle you may be better of using Balancer (Gelbvieh/Angus), SimAngus, or Braunvieh/Angus hybrid bulls. The resulting progeny will be close to 75% Angus which should give you very good marbling (assuming that the bulls you use are breed average or above for marbling).

If your cattle are sold on a grid that pays better for higher yielding carcasses, you would be better off using purebred Gelbvieh, Simmental, or Braunvieh bulls.

Whether you use the hybrid or purebred bulls listed above, they heifers out of these bulls should make excellent brood cows (assuming that their parents are also of good quality). These females will likely milk better than your high percentage Angus, should wean heavier calves, will stay in the herd longer, and will typically have calmer dispositions.

> I would maintaine that it's ot too
> much Angus but too much of the
> wrong angus. But Simmenthal or
> Gelbvieh crossed on your cows or
> maybe even better Balancer or
> Simangus. But whatever you use,
> including straight angus, watch
> the disposition.

> dun

I agree with having angus influence in the bulls that is a must in my opinion. I know for a fact that some of our neighbors run EXT bulls and I'm wondering if that could be a cause be their cattle are almost always on our side of the fence sniffing around.

[email protected]

Latest posts