too much beef

Help Support CattleToday:

Don't have any numbers but I thought i had heard the King Ranch was (at least at one time) the biggest. bought mineral blocks by the semi loads. like many semi loads. When my dad retired he sold moorman's feed for a while and supposedly there was a salesman who got rich having the King ranch as his only client.

King Ranch is somewhere in the neighborhood of 835,000 acres, some of which I think is oceanfront. They have branched out into a group called "Consolidated" and are investing in Florida real estate, particularly citrus groves as well. But I'm not sure that means they have the highest number of cattle. Head per acre in that neighborhood isn't very high.

Based on the national average of 70 pounds of beef consumed per person per year, the 60,000 head of cattle on the King Ranch could feed a city of almost 5 million people for a year.

This information is from The King Ranch web site.

Probably Deseret ranch, in Florida and owned by the Morman church. I think their total acreage is a tad higher than King ranch and stocking rates probably are higher in Florida. Of couse much of Deseret may be in citrus? Arnold Ziffle

Anonymous":15tzji85 said:
Probably Deseret ranch, in Florida and owned by the Morman church. I think their total acreage is a tad higher than King ranch and stocking rates probably are higher in Florida. Of couse much of Deseret may be in citrus? Arnold Ziffle
ST CLOUD, FLORIDA -- Desert Ranch, a 300,000 acre cattle ranch owned by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, has begun experimenting with shrimp farming, as have many citrus growers in South Florida. The ranch, located in St.Cloud, south of Orlando, is considered the largest east of the Mississippi river in the U.S.