Too many flies?

Help Support CattleToday:

denoginnizer,
Stole this:The crucial level of flies for losses to begin to occur is 200-250.
It seems the magic number I hear most often is 200.
But in practice I tend to lean towards Crowders view.

I go with the 200 or so rule as well. Every day that I can delay putting ear tags and boluses in the spring, is an extra day of control I get on the end of the season.

This year I'm testing ear tags and boluses they work together. They will all go in this weekend.

I rotated ear tags this year, like they say do. The new kind wasnt nearly as effective or either the flies are tougher.
I guess I will look into something with IGR in it . Looks like I have about 200 flies per cow and they are definately aggravating the cows , and me.

This year I'm testing ear tags and boluses they work together. They will all go in this weekend.

Cypress,

What kind of boluses are you using? We have looked at the Vigilante boluses a couple of time. Just never used them.

Thanks,
Farmgirl

This is a bad year. I've been running the cows and bull through a chute and spraying them occasionally. They also have ear tags. The loose minerals are treated. The rub is now back up and it seems to do the most good but not on the legs and such.

There are ranches on all sides so fly control is difficult with all the herds around me. I thought I was losing the battle. Then I saw one neighbor's cows across the fence. OMG !!! There must have been thousands on them. Now I don't feel so bad about the ear tags and efforts I have been putting in. Those 30 to 50 flies on my cows don't look so bad. I still want them gone tho.

I decided to check the other neighbors herds as well. One neighbor was out sprinking his cows with a powder. I hear powder merhods wipe out fish once it gets into the ponds. (I didn't mention it to him tho)

how can you get a good count on flies? everytime i get up to about a hundred or so i get a big swat in the face and all the flies scramble.

Beefy":16amztc1 said:
how can you get a good count on flies? everytime i get up to about a hundred or so i get a big swat in the face and all the flies scramble.

:lol: :lol: :lol: That is why I said, "30 to 50" on my cows. They sling their heads and some go to another cow of mine who is slinging the tail at them. Some fly up and land back onto the shoulders. It is all an estimate for me.

There is no way in hades I could count them on the neighbor's cows tho. Swarms on every one. The small calves only seemed to have a few tho.

I sprayed mine a couple of weeks ago all over and the flies are back on the legs. I have never seen them this bad. I bought one of those fly traps for the heck of it, and it is full already. Disgusting. Flies are bad in the house, too. I really hate flies in the house.

Do the ear tags work? I have heard mixed reviews. Mine are finally using the rub, too and starting to like it.

What brand of ear tags are you all using? I am willing to try anything if it will work.

Lammie":39gdqioo said:
I sprayed mine a couple of weeks ago all over and the flies are back on the legs. I have never seen them this bad. I bought one of those fly traps for the heck of it, and it is full already. Disgusting. Flies are bad in the house, too. I really hate flies in the house.

Do the ear tags work? I have heard mixed reviews. Mine are finally using the rub, too and starting to like it.

The big stinky and most of the bottle/jar type traps work on house and stable flys but don;t do diddly for face and horn flys. I haven't seen any that have an attractant for them that is more appealing then a cow.

dun

Yea, the flies I have in the the trap are mostly house fly looking things. The flies on the calves look like house flies but they bite. I had some gnawing on my ankles the other night when I was attempting to unwrap some twine from around a rooster's feet. (Long story, dumb chickens.)

What is the difference? I always thought of horn flies as big horse fly looking things. A fly is a fly to me. All nasty. House flies don't bite, do they? I don't recall having been bitten by one, although they are more interested in the counter tops than in me.

No matter how clean you keep the kitchen it seems like flies will find something to be interested in.

Farmgirl":2ruqedb7 said:

Cypress,

What kind of boluses are you using? We have looked at the Vigilante boluses a couple of time. Just never used them.

Thanks,
Farmgirl

Farmgirl,

I'm testing this year. I will be putting the vigilante boluses, as well as ear tags. Gonna try some variations of the above, however. Bought three different types of ear tags, and will be experimenting by not giving all of the cows the bolus. I do have seperate herds in different locations (miles apart), and this "test" will include all of them.

The boluses are EXPENSIVE, but I want to see if it helps maintain condition on cows, and help the calves grow...

good info dj. however, i have never seen a deer fly like that. ours are gray and huge. hurt like the dickens when they bite. can and will bite thru jeans, too.

Has anyone ever got their whole herd in the corral and sprayed fly control out of their spray rig? That is an easy fix for me.

redangus":36knp3vp said:
Has anyone ever got their whole herd in the corral and sprayed fly control out of their spray rig? That is an easy fix for me.

Yep, but it only lasts for a couple of weeks.

redangus":2bhn4q8u said:

I did that a few weeks ago. The flies on the backs are gone but now there are flies on the legs and face flies. Not nearly as bad has they were. I dont think I got up to 200, but I have calves, too. I know it was bugging the snot out of them. Then again, 200 probably isn't as large a number as I imagine. Flies are awful small.

Latest posts