Too Late to Fertilize

Help Support CattleToday:

Soggy Bottom

Reaction score
I planted 12 acres of oats back in mid October planning on getting rain. Well didn't get any rain until a few weeks ago. Didn't see any sprouts until last week. Looks like most places have sprouted pretty well. Am I too late to fertilize and top dress with rye grass? Typically it is used as deer food plots until January than cows graze it.

I wouldn't plant anything unless the soil temps are pretty warm. The seeds will probably rot before they germinate if soil temps are in the 50s.

You can fertilize pretty much any time. I usually do all of the hay fields when we get a dry spell with rain in the forecast in February or March. I've done it with snow on the ground before.

You'll be fine with the fertilizer and the ryegrass. We over seeded ryegrass on some thin oats a few weeks ago and they are up good.
I've planted oats this time of the year as well. You won't get a lot of growth until late February to March but once the days get a little longer you probably won't be able to tell the difference in oats planted in September. You just missed the fall grazing is all.

Latest posts