Too fat???

Help Support CattleToday:

lakeportfarms

Reaction score
This is our little cross between our Hereford cow and short leg Dexter bull. He is just shy of 4 months.
He's quite fat and has been nibbling on the forage, but I'm wondering when it's time to wean him. Mom is still in pretty good condition, we think she was bred again about two months ago. I know rule of thumb is around 7 months....

We will be keeping him as a bull and find somebody to buy him that wants to reduce the size of their herd. The bull is 38" and the cow stands about 44"

So...keep him going another couple of months?

P10100091.JPG

P10100022.JPG

P1010006.JPG

P10100072.JPG

lakeportfarms":1c6surzy said:
So...keep him going another couple of months?
I would have no idea, but I think that if you left him on till 7 months, he would definately be bigger than his dam. :lol:

Let him suckle as long as possible, its still the cheapest way to develope a bull if you are adamant to do that. I could give ten reasons why he shouldn't stay intact, but I doubt you'll listen anyway.

YES! Too fat!

Observe his pasterns already at this age. Another two months he could be 180# or more heavier, and his Functional characteristics, along with the internal fat around his Reproductive structures, (Epididymis, Seminal vesicles, prostate, testes - even his sheath) could relate to a negative Breeding Soundness Evaluation (BSE), which every bull PURCHASER should demand. Just for what it may be worth, this young bull has too many unacceptable Phenotype characteristics to be considered a "herd improver", but perhaps your potential purchaser only needs a "cow freshener" and slight 'size reducer'. But that decision is between the two of you.

DOC HARRIS

I agree with Knersie, keep him on mom as long as possible, it is the cheapest easiest.

BUT that little fatso would be going in my freezer at about 12 months old, finished the last 3 months of his litle life on barley..

I can taste it already,, wow,, delicious... :D

Good luck with him.

Keren":34wn1273 said:
that has got to be the ugliest SOB I've ever seen posted on CT

Thank you, my day and week has been sooooooo sucky and I now have to LMFAO... :clap: :lol: :help:

BTW, we all thought it but were too polite to say it..

Sorry lakeport.. Maybe it is just the camera angle.. Take some more pics in a few months and good luck with him.. :tiphat:

I do apologize in advance for being mean in any way. I have been having a shYtty year.. :wave:

Thanks Doc for another educational post. I took a second look at him after reading your reply and I see where it appears that his rear fetlocks (ankles) are breaking down.

I have a question. Does he exhibit dwarfism? His body and head are huge and his legs are so short. His body looks a big odd too, although it may be the fat.

Keren":19i4yu39 said:
that has got to be the ugliest SOB I've ever seen posted on CT

Yeah and definitely not herd bull material. I agree with knersie he is not worthy to stay in tact. I think Id eat the fat little booger NOW!

Apparently half you guys don't know what a Dexter looks like... it's not dwarfism ffs. A dexter cross with dwarfism would be about the size of a sheep lol.

Now days, like any other breed the Dexter is bigger than what it used to be and IMO should be. Examples:

dexter_cattle_4_sale_clip_image002_.jpg

Simple_Simon_TN.jpg

dexter-cattle.jpg

pattonBullSimeon.jpg

I was breaking in a 3+ yr old bull who's back reached just below my hip. I'm 5'7" and I'm definitely no legs 11... and his fat head, lets say his horn span was about 1m and as thick as a coffee mug.

aussie_cowgirl, you posted pictures of some very attractive cattle. The Dexters that I have seen in my neck of the woods are junkers compared to the animals in your pictures. Most of the Dexters that I have seen are black. I like the red ones
happy.gif

chippie":3gp94p9q said:
aussie_cowgirl, you posted pictures of some very attractive cattle. The Dexters that I have seen in my neck of the woods are junkers compared to the animals in your pictures. Most of the Dexters that I have seen are black. I like the red ones
happy.gif

Yeah, same here. Dexters are marketed to hobby farmers so they tend to be one of 'those breeds'. No disrespect to hobby farmers. I like the reds better too personally. A local breeder won a state carcass competition with a limo x dexter steer got like 97 points out of 100 or something amazing like that.

That 'calf' certainly looks to be older than 4 months. And I've dealt with a few Dexters. I'd expect a Dexter/Hereford to have a bit more growth than that.
And Keren, I agree with you. He'd be lucky to still be around if he was at my place- I would have fed him to the dogs or chucked him in the freezer already.

Latest posts