Too eat the Jersey or not.....?

Help Support CattleToday:

leboeuf

Reaction score
I got a Jersey Steer from a friend that had to bottle raise it. We agreed that if I put it out to pasture and feed it out, we would split the butcher cost and meat. I agreed and put the steer out to pasture with the heifers @ 6 months ago. Its not been an issue to have around, but now I ready to send him to the meat locker.

Question:
1. Is there any quality meat issues associated with the Jersey breed?
2. Do you feed them out just like any other cow, grain or corn?
3. How long does it take to finihs him out?
4. Whats the best feed to use, type not brand?

Thanks for any feedback.

Quality issues? Yes, he should be very tender. Most dairy animals make very tender beef.

Feed him out as you would any beef steer, slowly/gradually increasing the grains.

Time it will take? Cannot answer with an exact amount of days. He WILL take a bit longer than a beef breed. Exactly how much longer, I don't know.

Feed type to use? Corn, barley etc. Good quality hay, grass, minerals, water. Others can offer more info.

Katherine

Should be no reason he won't taste good. He just won't gain like a beef breed and he won't yield as much.
I have been reading that peas and barley make for the tenderest, tasty feed lot beef!

his meat will taste just like any other steers meat.an you can feed him just you would any other steer.

Thanks for the responses.... I purchased half a ton of corn out of the field and planned to use some of that. I will look for other grains (peas & barley) this week and start the process. Thanks again.

Latest posts