Too docile?

Help Support CattleToday:

BTW, I do have one this year that will be taking a ride on the trailer at weaning, one of my last Simm/Angus. She-beast even kickin' up dirt and it was about to get rodeo. Safety first, kids! 9 years old, this is her 8th calf and she's in perfect condition - never treated her for anything. But something flipped a switch and that's all it takes. Buh bye!!

I think it is 95% handling over breed. I have never, ever been threatened by an Angus bull. When we were kids growing up, a friend of mine's dad had an Angus bull that we could go up to in the pasture, climb on his back, and he'd walk around grazing with us sitting up there. And yes, I have had angus cows that were bottle calves, or show heifers, that still were very protective of their new-borns the first day or two. With Angus cows in rented pastures a good ways off, that I didn't fool with but maybe 3-4 times a year, this protective behaviour may last 4 or 5 days. Nothing in the word more docile than a dairy cow, or dairy steers that were bottle fed. But, the damned meanest, most dangerous bulls I have ever encountered, were Holstein or Jeresy. They aren't handled twice a day every day like the cows are. I helped a man with tagging new born calves from a Brahma herd this week. We could ride right up to them in this huge pasture, dismount, tag and band the calves, and the cows never showed aggression. These same Brahmas, and most others I have fooled with, will get nervous and high headed when you try to pen them or crowd them in a small corral. Unless. like rodeo bulls, they are constantly penned and loaded and crowded through chutes several times a week. They will settle down and act right, then. I had a next door neighbor late 70's and late 80's, that could lead kids around on the back of his Braham bull like a pony ride.

Had a heifer calf last year, mom prolapsed and didn't make it. Ended up on the bottle, hand fed every day. Still a nut case. The mom wasn't even that bad either.

Not sure what the deal was with her. She had some sort of injury from birth, didn't walk quite right, so she went to the locker plant. The injury may have had something to do with it, I've had a couple tame cows that got hurt and weren't so tame anymore.

Had a heifer calf last year, mom prolapsed and didn't make it. Ended up on the bottle, hand fed every day. Still a nut case. The mom wasn't even that bad either.

Not sure what the deal was with her. She had some sort of injury from birth, didn't walk quite right, so she went to the locker plant. The injury may have had something to do with it, I've had a couple tame cows that got hurt and weren't so tame anymore.
I found they don't like getting poked with needles!.. I have had a few that could really hold a grudge for a month or two after vaccination time

What breed?

Latest posts