tomatoes

Help Support CattleToday:

I like the beefsteaks but I can't grow them here because of disease. Now I just grow nameless hybrids with numbers on them.

I like to plant some Early Girls here. Get them a little sooner, then the Big Boys, Celebrities, Beefsteaks, etc take over. gs

saw something today I hadnt seen before. Fella had planted his tomatoes, and right beside em he had stuck a piece of 3 inch pvc pipe in the ground. said this is where he puts his water and fertilizer...Anyone else seen this

houstoncutter":3ex797lk said:
saw something today I hadnt seen before. Fella had planted his tomatoes, and right beside em he had stuck a piece of 3 inch pvc pipe in the ground. said this is where he puts his water and fertilizer...Anyone else seen this

i have done this with fruit trees and shrubs. seems a bit over the top for a tomato.

I am truly looking forward to a home grown tomato. last years drought I had a total crop failure and did nto get a single tomato.

my favorite tomato for severl years was a variety called Floramerica.....but I have not been able to find them for several years.

currently I favor celebrity and Fantastic or Super Fantastic.

10-4 on the Cherokee Purple - That's the best tasting tomato for a cold juicy sandwich you will ever have the pleasure of biting down on - Man, I wish I had one now!

houstoncutter":3mfinra0 said:
Not exactly taht but years ago anytime my mom planted a rose bush or any permanent type plant she'd put a one pound coffee can in the ground by the plant with holes punched in the bottom for watering. Seems to work well getting the water down deep where it was really needed.

stumbled across some cherokee purple yesterday. bought one and it is planted. put in a few celebrities as well.

a bit early for here but I have them caged and if the forecasters give me some warning I can put plastic over them.

houstoncutter":vdwe6lb4 said:

Yep I did that last year on a couple just for grins. I was using a 1/4 pvc for the post to suppost the plant.

If you like big tomatoes: (this is based on customer & hubby comments)
Prudens Purple (OP), big, beautiful tomatoes, moderate yields
Mortgage Lifter / Radiator Charlie (OP) ditto above
Brandywine (OP), ditto above, but low yields
Big Beef (hybrid) surprising exc. flavor for hybrid. Huge yields. excellent disease resistance
Beefmaster (hybrid) excellent flavor, big ugly fruit. Good yields
Cherokee Purple (OP) as mentioned by others: Unique smokey flavor. Low - mod yield

Not so big but good to have around:
Early girl (Hybrid) a bit like grocery store but flavor improves after first couple of weeks of harvert. Very early.
Black prince (OP) similar to Cherokee P, smaller fruit, better disease resist, milder flavor
Mountain Gold (Hyb) BIG fruit, mild, sweet rich colored yellow flesh. Less acid tasting.
Tiny Tim (Hyb) short tree form plant only grows to 15-18" tall. Loaded with cherry tomatoes, and great for containers right outside the door for a quick snack

Have Fun!

This year we raised all ours from seed. We did some last year. We got Brandywine and Cherokee Purple saved from tomatoes given to us last year for just this purpose. A buddy gave us some seeds from what he said was a Portuguese giant tomato but can't find anything about it. We bought some Amish paste seeds as well as some big beef. All are indeterminate. We went hog wild and surprisingly successful planting two 72 cell flats and separating out a lot of the multiple plants per cell when planting them in bigger cups. We are going to be trying to give away a lot of plants. I love this time of year.

Hi all, Please remember that you need to rotate your tomatoes and have three years between replanting in the same spot if possible. This will help with disease problems
:)

Latest posts