Tomatoes

Help Support CattleToday:

donnaIL

Reaction score
Our area is just getting ready for the big tomatoe harvest...and I mean big.

I planted around 85 plants and expect them to produce at least couple bushels (I never weighted them so I am guessing, but alot) a week. I will be home canning these tomatoes and then suppling friends and family with fresh tomatoes... the amount is insignificant, because after I have 20 cases of tomatoes canned, it really is... so

Please post good salsa recipes, ones that really work, I've tried those from the canning book and must be doing something wrong.

any other ideas welcome

Thanks in advance,

donna

Scald the fresh mater and peal it. Then cut out the stem core. Then cut up the mater and coop in a big pot until done. When cool put maters in freezer bags and freeze. They make the best chili and spaghetti and veggie soup all winter. They are good just placed on white rice with corn bred on the side.

My mother-in-law gave me her recipe when I first got married and I make this all year long and take it along on pot lucks and everyone loves it.
tomatoes (boiled, peeled, and diced)
onion (to taste)
hot pepper (to taste)
bell peppers (to taste)
celery (several stalks diced)
1/4 tea. mustard seed
1/2 cup veg. oil
1/8 tea. pepper
1/2 tea. salt
red wine vinegar (I shake the bottle approx. 15 times and then to taste)
Mix together and let sit in fridge for a few hours.

You can used canned tomatoes but fresh is always better.
As you can see everything is to taste. Mine in never the same each time but it is always good and gone in a hurry.

I like to put some shredded cheese in mine but I only add it when I am eating it right away.
Serve with chips

Latest posts