Tomatoes in containers

Help Support CattleToday:

Bill Elliott

Reaction score
I planted tomatoes in old mineral buckets. I planted both determinate and indeterminante. I used good topsoil, compost and some sand. I drilled plenty of holes in the bottom and sides of the buckets. All seem to be doing good but look "weak"...leaves curling up. I have experienced blossum end rot...I put some tums in the bucket and got a commercial calcium spray. I was watering twice a day but not sure that's enough. I'm getting good tomatoes but the plants just don't look happy. I don't think I have my watering "protocal" down right....anyone got any ideas? Thanks and cheers, Bill

This is my first attempt at growing tomatoes in containers.

I have them in 8 buckets...I tested one and it came in at 6.0...they are all about the same. I think my problem may be my watering...I'm guessing I'm not watering enough...in the containers the soil seems to dry out so quickly...of course it's been 98 degrees every day for the past month!!!! cheers, Bill

How many plants do you have in each tub? I put 2 plants in each tub. I think the determinate varieties do best in tubs.Also I use a shot of miracle grow once or twice a week. I think containers work best when you plant early as possible in the spring. Once it gets real hot and the plants are big it's hard to keep them watered.

This is just an observation and may not apply to your situation.

One of the problems with containers is the soil will shrink away from the container and water will run through. So you've 6000 trees in 2 gallon pots and the new help walks down the isles watering. They see water running out the bottom and think it is watered. But the soil in the container hasn't had time to soak up any water and the roots aren't getting the water they need.

In your case where you don't have a large volume to deal with you might try poking a hole in the bottom of a milk jug. Fill it with water and place it in the pot. This will allow the soil to soak up the water. Are the containers in full sun? You might want to try some partial shade during the heat of the day.

Latest posts