Tomato heaven!

Help Support CattleToday:

cowchew

Reaction score
My tomatoes are coming like gangbusters. I am feeding all the neighbors and still eating tomatoes, breakfast, lunch and dinner. This weekend I'm making "Shrimp Gazpacho", and Salsa. But my favorite part of growing them is that wonderful aroma you get when picking them, takes me right back to my Paw Paw's garden.
P.S. Any good tomato recipes appreciated. I just wonder if there are any I haven't tried. :pretty:

I read post like that AND wish I lived farther south....
I did manage to snag some hot house tomatoes the other day and they were not bad.

Was at a local vegetabel producers place tuesday and he has some that are about two weeks from picking but he was sweating bullets in the spring when we were having freezing temps.

frost actually nipped mine in april but they did not die and I have little tomaotes but am far from picking.

Saw some sweet corn yesterday that is about two weeks from harvest and that is the earliest I have seen this year here. field corn is just waist high now. Last week it was not quite knee high. really jumping now.

we are going to the produce stand tomorrow and will get a few high dollar southern tomatoes.

but I am still blessed to live in the capital state of the confederacy and have southern traditions and values and do not have cottonmouths, alligators, come here yankees or hurricane bullseyes.

Our local farmer's market opens this weekend, and I can't wait! Kinda late for this area, but we had such a wet spring, people lost some early stuff or didn't dry out enough to get it in the ground on schedule. No telling when tomatoes will be in full swing. Grass sure is pretty though!

bretsam":260u1ji1 said:
My tomatoes are coming like gangbusters. I am feeding all the neighbors and still eating tomatoes, breakfast, lunch and dinner. This weekend I'm making "Shrimp Gazpacho", and Salsa. But my favorite part of growing them is that wonderful aroma you get when picking them, takes me right back to my Paw Paw's garden.
P.S. Any good tomato recipes appreciated. I just wonder if there are any I haven't tried. :pretty:

Thanks for posting this. I just finished planting mine last night. Our last frost free date is June 10th. It will be a while before I have your problem.

Our last frost date is the End of APril, but I haven't seen the last "rain" date yet!!! Still got the plants in pots sitting and waiting . All 120 of them + the peppers. Been putting a few in the cattle lick tubs, worked really well last year.
Valerie

Just now getting some off my vines. There is nothing like a home grown tomato.

We bought some this weekend at a produce stand.

these came from south Carolina and were pretty good.

We are a week or two from having Hanover Tomaotes but my own personal patch is a month away at least.

Oh, yeah. Coming on like gangbusters now. I took a sack with me to work yesterday.

Tomatoes sliced thick

Mozzerella cheese sliced thick

drizzle on some balsamic vinegar, oil, and basil

...voila! salad!

At the local farmers' market, two vendors had the first homegrown tomatoes of the year this past Saturday, the 12th. They had as much green on them as they did red and were very small. In a grocery store, they wouldn't get a second look. When locally grown is available, they can't bring in produce from out-of-area, so no more Arkansas tomatoes now. Got mine out late and they are loaded, but still about a month away. Almost all the produce vendors had new potatoes last week. Our potatoes have done well so far. Had new Yukon Golds with butter and parsely 3 weeks ago!

Davis, that is about a 12 to 15 dollar Caprese salad in most restaurants that you just described, and they dont even slice the tomatoes or the mozzarella thick

I have tomatoes growing as well. Hubby threw one through the flower half of the garden. I have bowls of them in the fridge and give them away as well, as I don't eat them. I have been picking them and throwing them down to the vegie half of the garden if a bit soft. I see the vines are getting frosted now and I can't wait to pull them up.

Latest posts