Toledo Candy Scale

Help Support CattleToday:

slick4591

Reaction score
I guess I've owned it long enough. A friend wants me to price it to him. I bought the thing 10 or so years ago at an FFA benefit auction and I thought I paid to much at $450.00. I'm looking around and found one similar that was listed on Ebay at $650.00 but the person took it off before the auction ended. I don't have a clue how to price it.

It's a 15 lb Candy Scale.

I can see eBay sold listings and a dealer for 20 years. 300 - 400 would be a fair price. Depends on how good a friend and what your willing to take...

He's one of my better friends and I had thought more around $200, but haven't told him yet. Might have to rethink this. Thanks!

slick4591":1lvn9e1d said:
He's one of my better friends and I had thought more around $200, but haven't told him yet. Might have to rethink this. Thanks!

While a good friend he would have to give me what I got into it probably I think it's fair unless he's helping you out alot.

I had a system back when I was catering. I would do lots of school benefits and basically charge them costs, then I would turn around and spend that money back on their auction. All their items were donated so they got all their money back and I would leave with something. This is how I bought that scale.

slick4591":33zn6ij2 said:
I guess I've owned it long enough. A friend wants me to price it to him. I bought the thing 10 or so years ago at an FFA benefit auction and I thought I paid to much at $450.00. I'm looking around and found one similar that was listed on Ebay at $650.00 but the person took it off before the auction ended. I don't have a clue how to price it.

It's a 15 lb Candy Scale.

If it was mine I would ask him to make an offer. You need to do this to see how good of friend he is.

I have and he won't, but I knew that to start with. He never pays asking price unless he knows it's too cheap to start with and will tell you that he doesn't price other people's stuff. Thinking more about it today...I think I'll throw out a higher price to him before I take it to the auction house. That way he can go there to see if he can get it for a better price if he doesn't accept.

slick4591":3n7qb69t said:
I have and he won't, but I knew that to start with. He never pays asking price unless he knows it's too cheap to start with and will tell you that he doesn't price other people's stuff. Thinking more about it today...I think I'll throw out a higher price to him before I take it to the auction house. That way he can go there to see if he can get it for a better price if he doesn't accept.

I also will not price other people's things. I don't make offers to people on stuff. If I feel their asking price is fair, I will pay it and not haggle. I think giving him a price , and then if he refuses, taking it to an auction house if the most fair way to do it. You will get what it is worth at the time to whoever is bidding, he will have the chance to buy it if he really wants it.

I'm a little different in that if you ask me to make an offer I will. It will be a low ball one but it's a starting place. Also, if I ask you to make an offer I have already planned to be offended by it.

farmerjan":3ftfl54s said:
I also will not price other people's things. I don't make offers to people on stuff. If I feel their asking price is fair, I will pay it and not haggle. I think giving him a price , and then if he refuses, taking it to an auction house if the most fair way to do it. You will get what it is worth at the time to whoever is bidding, he will have the chance to buy it if he really wants it.

I, too, hate haggling. It makes me feel cheap and can create animosity quickly. Slick, do you have an antique store nearby that would either have something similar or take a look at it for you? I might start there. Ebay is tough, there's a lot of factors to it. I've sold items on there for 30% than the closest number suggested, even on better items. Good luck, and let us know how it goes.

We have two in town and the only scales they had were cotton scales. They are all dealers that rent booths and none of those there that day had a clue.

That scale is something a few years ago, I would have jumped at the chance to bid on, but now am downsizing lots of stuff.
Own too much crap for my age..went thru it with my Dad's 'collectibles' and don't want to leave my kids in the same boat having to deal with it. Wife says about various things we have.."It's just one more thing to have to dust"..

The scale is a very nice piece tho. I've seen a couple but I don't think either was complete.

Thanks. This is only in two parts. Scale and pan. Took me a while to figure out how it works because I didn't realize you have to flip the weights depending on what you are weighing.

Latest posts