Today's sale

Help Support CattleToday:

piedmontese

Reaction score
Went to a sale today. It was a total herd sell off on one guy retiring. I knew all the young cattle would go too high for me but had hoped to pick up a few older heavy bred cows. Nope, old heavy breds were bringing $1700 and up n groups of 10. So I thought maybe I could pickup an off colored single for cheap. Wrong again. Seen a few spotted and marked cattle bringing $1500 and up. Seen a young heavy bred heifer bring $1600. She was small and they had her marked at 1 yr old. Too much risk for that kinda $$. They sold 1200 head so old timer will be cashing a fat check. I like to see that after a guy has dedicated his life to so much hard work.

your seeing what a small national cattle herd does to cattle prices.any cow that can breed back an raise a calf is $500 to $700 a hd higher.you cant come out giving $1700 for old cows.

There seem to be a lot of folks looking to do the same thing: by an old/thin cheap cow, put some pounds on her and resell or let her calve and sell...

When a lot of people want to do the same thing the price goes up.

Jim

bigbull338":2rg07ho2 said:
your seeing what a small national cattle herd does to cattle prices.any cow that can breed back an raise a calf is $500 to $700 a hd higher.you cant come out giving $1700 for old cows.
Why Sir do you believe that it is done everyday on a large scale through out the country
$1700 for a heavy bred cow that will have a calf that when it is weaned is worth anywhere from $1000 to $1200 and then if you took the cow back to the barn if she was open she is worth $900 to $1200
if she is bred then add $200 to $500 to that price

if you kept the cow for a yr to do this your cost should be $365 or less
so
bred cow $1400
weaned calf $1100
total $2500
minus cost $365
balance $2135
profit $435
No you wouldn't do this on every cow but that is part of the gamble of being in the Cattle business there are NO guarantees like in most business opportunities that are out there
I would surmise that you live in a sheltered environment and have never had to gamble to make a profit and have always played it safe
or otherwise you wouldn't say that you can't do something
A $1700 cow is no more of a gamble than an $1100 feeder calf

Cattleman 9.5":ximorl9b said:
bigbull338":ximorl9b said:
Why Sir do you believe that it is done everyday on a large scale through out the country
$1700 for a heavy bred cow that will have a calf that when it is weaned is worth anywhere from $1000 to $1200 and then if you took the cow back to the barn if she was open she is worth $900 to $1200

so
bred cow $1400
weaned calf $1100
total $2500
minus cost $365
balance $2135
profit $435
No you wouldn't do this on every cow but that is part of the gamble of being in the Cattle business there are NO guarantees like in most business opportunities that are out there
I would surmise that you live in a sheltered environment and have never had to gamble to make a profit and have always played it safe
Please tell us how u can take care of a bred cow for a yr and then her calf for at least 6 months for $365.

Cattleman 9.5":2nz2k30v said:
bigbull338":2nz2k30v said:

so
bred cow $1400
weaned calf $1100
total $2500
minus cost $365
balance $2135
profit $435
1. No way to run a cow for $365.
2. I agree with you. I would have no aversion to buying good 1 or 2 turn heavy breds all day long and they would make money.
3. You sure do surmise a lot.

js1234":3cubw47o said:
1. No way to run a cow for $365.
2. I agree with you. I would have no aversion to buying good 1 or 2 turn heavy breds all day long and they would make money.

Just think what pairs could be worth after green up ?

piedmontese":9pox80zy said:

Yea, but who is buying those ? I think if you lock in a selling price, and have grass, either one could be "reasonable."

It seems like it takes some folks a couple years to totally adjust to a big pricing change like we have had.

Latest posts