Today's project

Help Support CattleToday:

Texas [email protected]

Reaction score
Is that plywood for the flooring? Does it work well? We need to re-floor 2 stock trailers and a16 foot utility trailer..... dang, wood 's still expensive despite a slight price drop from the high in the spring.

OP
skyhightree1

skyhightree1

Reaction score
Is that plywood for the flooring? Does it work well? We need to re-floor 2 stock trailers and a16 foot utility trailer..... dang, wood 's still expensive despite a slight price drop from the high in the spring.
It is 3/4 treated plywood but underneath is treated 2x6 boards.. yea it was 150.00 for the 3 sheets of plywood. It works fine best thing for it imo on top of 2x6's

OP
skyhightree1

skyhightree1

Reaction score
Sky, that will work fine, just be sure the edges are stapled good.

When I first looked at that picture I thought you laid some vinyl flooring in your stock trailer!:)
Oh yeah everything is stapled good with 1 3/4 2 Barb Staples. Lol vinyl flooring

Shoestring

Reaction score
All it takes is 1. Friend of a friend took a bull to auction. Bulls hoof went thru the floor. Was not pretty. Seems like he got .10 lb.

J+ Cattle

Reaction score
I like having about a half inch gap between the floor boards so the crap can go through and not build up as much. Saves me having to clean it out as often, if you’re behind me on the highway keep your distance!

504RP

Reaction score
Hope so since I now only have 12 cows lol
I just finished that very project myself. Even with just 12 cows it won't last that many years. I replaced mine with treated 2 x 10's 3 years ago. And even then I pulled the bull panel loose and covered the 2 x 10 floor with 3/4 treated plywood last year because the 2 x 10 were getting dody.

And even then the plywood started looking dody around August this year. So i thought I had better check it out before I moved anymore cow's in it.

When i pulled that first sheet of plywood up up I got cold chills thinking about all the cattle I had been hauling in that thing in the past few months. The whole floor was rotted. The 2 x 10s were falling through as i stepped on them.

Replaced the floor with treated 2 x 12s . Should be good for about 2 seasons and maybe a 3rd if i cover the 2x12s with treated plywood like I did last time.

But I don't wash the floor out or park the trailer in a barn. Which i don't think would make much difference.

I would highly recommend thoroughly checking wood trailer floors every 2 years at a minimum if you know for sure the last time the floor was repl aced was 2 years prior. And sooner than that if the only decking was plywood. It's thinner and holds water longer causing rot sooner.

504RP

Reaction score
Sky I don't know about you. But I sure was happy after I finished that project. When i made my last trip hauling cows last fall. I also had a axle break off right at the hub on one axle causeing a wheel to fall off. So i also got to enjoy replacing both axles on the trailer early this spring. Old trailer's are just full of enjoyment. Lol !!!

EasTex

Reaction score
Today’s Pressure treated wood don’t last like the old stuff. Better to apply some other sealant to it. Used motor oil works good or linseed oil.

Latest posts