Today's New One

Help Support CattleToday:

FlyingLSimmentals

Reaction score
Went to check on the cows and first thing I saw over the calving lot was vultures lots of them. First thought was oh no something is going badly wrong or dead. Thankfully nothing was dead and the cow left in the lot that hadn't calved had now calved, the calf was laying in an old hay spot in the dry. The cow was in a heated battle back and forth fighting back the vultures protecting her bull calf and trying to eat the afterbirth as well as lick him dry. I went quickly back to get a gun while my dad whom was with me kept the blasting birds back from the pair. Grabbed the gun I had loaded, my Remington 1187 turkey gun filled with 3 1/2 inch magnum shells and went back. Ended up only getting 1 shot off but I did put some lead in one of those flesh eating dudes. Need to get a nice varmit rifle and knock them off at a distance. This was the first time we've had trouble with any, but the neighbor has been having a lot of problems with them. Anyway here is a pic of the pair, the calf has a pretty white underline, two back white socks and a white tip tail. Told Nesikep I post our next red calf for him since he likes red a lot. Not the best pic and it's hard to see any of his chrome markings but here he is. Another late one out of my Invasion son.

So thankful that you were able to save that pretty calf. We have a terrible time protecting our newborns from Mexican vultures. They are getting worse and worse here in Middle GA. We have to check our cows three times a day while we have cows ready to calve. I hate that those birds ever came here. They are big trouble.
By the way, we have a Simmental bull just the color of yours. His mama is black and already bred to a Simmental bull when we bought her. She is registered. I think that light red is a pretty color.

Latest posts