Today's Hay Prices Calculated

Help Support CattleToday:

I have fed some oat/alfalfa in the past but it wasn't oat straw. The oats were over ripe for hay but it still had the grain. That fed good. I know people who have fed oat straw but only as a part of the ration. Cows seem to eat it fine. The grass seed straw I was talking about really varies by species. We get it out of the grass seed growing areas down in Oregon. The blue grass and bend grass straw makes reasonable feed that can often be fed straight. The rye grass isn't as good but with some supplement it will work. The orchard grass and fescue straw has to be supplemented pretty good or cows will lose condition on it.

those of you who have hay leftover be thankful.

Hay has been routinely selling around here for 10.00 per regular square bale.

I don't know what round bales are doing cause no one has any.

Problem is with 4.00 deisel fuel we can't afford to move the hay either.

We had a producer meeting last month and I asked the CAB expert from Kansas how the large feedlot losses were going to be addressed. He said that he hoped exports would increase long term - - but that calf and feeder producers would have to "take their turn" losing money for a couple years. I am not interested in that solution.

Basicly the US goverment has gone from indirectly subsidizing beef calf and feeder producers (by subsidizing feedlot grain) to indirectly penalizing these same producers (by subsidzing ethonal). So I have to continuing to find ways to get our feed costs down. Others are tired of buying feed, think the beef market is going to crash, and they are liquidating. We will be at a herd dispersal sale today buying short term cows... :cboy:

We don't make much hay so the 2008 plan is graze until the snow gets too deep, cull hard, and then switch to a largely purchased hay/oats straw or hay/corn stalk round bale buffet. Calves will be backgrounded on a by product blend. Our margin will be way down from a couple years ago but we are not plowing up pastures yet.

SS, sounds like a good plan. I need some help with rain, my plan is to feed the calves to slaughter.

mnmtranching":3v5kl8lt said:
SS, sounds like a good plan. I need some help with rain, my plan is to feed the calves to slaughter.

Interesting idea. Have you looked at economics of feeding of hiefers vs. steers?
With the big heifer discount locally (about $15 to $21/cwt) - - it seems like a guy could sell steers and feed out heifers?

I will do a rain dance for a case of beer. Works most of the time, but occasionally the rain dance turns into a snow dance like last week. I charge extra for termperature control.

We sure aren't having trouble getting moisture now. A rain dance in June, July and August would get you a case or two. :D I would be happy to be able to grow the feed for my calves. Man it would be nice to have extra, maybe put in a few more heifers. I don't know? maybe sell the steers and buy back heifers. I know what I got with my own calves, For now I think I'll just work with what I got.
I'm confident all will be well, with a little rain.

Latest posts