Today's big purchases

Help Support CattleToday:

Dave

Reaction score
I got home before dark so I snapped a couple pictures. The first one is 7 heifers I bought today. I really wanted to get some steers but all I managed to do was run other buyers up to my limit. The second picture is previous purchases with their head in the feed bunk. I calculated things a few days ago. I had a $1.22 average into them and they averaged weighing 366. Today's calves weigh 386 and I paid $1.21 so I didn't hurt my averages. Once again I watched 350 pound steers bring well over $2.00 which is above my budget. Talked to B this morning. I mentioned seeing those light steers bring $2.19. He quickly in his head figured what you can hedge them for with a mid summer delivery. He said it comes out but you need a cost of gain under a dollar a pound.
PC082748.JPGPC082749.JPG

The light calves really jumped here this past week. Little steers are getting pretty pricey, over $2 up to light 5 weights.

That's good you can find deals on the heifers. Are they any lesser quality? Why so cheap?

The light calves really jumped here this past week. Little steers are getting pretty pricey, over $2 up to light 5 weights.

That's good you can find deals on the heifers. Are they any lesser quality? Why so cheap?
Well they aren't #1's. But they should make me money. I got 3 good light steers last week in the $1.40 range but not this week.

I kind of believe next year they will be up a little. Put some weight on those and you will do good. Nice..............

Got 4 little steers and 7 heifers yesterday. Was in Town with the wife and her pickup. Walked in the ring and a little steer that wasn't feeling good came in. 285 lbs at $1.10 and he was mine. Now what did I need one calf for and trailer at home 200 miles away. This was the last sale of the year and there weren't many calves there. Went over and asked the main buyer what he had for light calves…… "You can have these and these and this cheap heifer." Commission? "Merry Christmas!" Yard crew worked them for me and will pick up Monday
Now a neighbor wants us to take 140 cows for the winter so he can have time to build a cabin on a lot and sell it. Mulling it over, not sure we need more to do.

Good heavy steers are bringing more here per pound than lighter ones, kinda wished I'd planted wheat this year and bought some lighter steers to carry through to spring then re-sell.

A good portion of the calves I bought have been the cut outs. They run 10, 20, 30 calves into the ring the buyers want one cut out. Lots of the time I don't want the cut out. But when I say it ain't that bad, I get it for well under the market. I am not sending several pot loads to a yard with thousands of head where the calf will get lost in the crowd. I have 35 in a pen 100 yards from the house. I will be paying attention to them.