Today is the day to start the garden

Help Support CattleToday:

hillrancher

Reaction score
Valentine day is the the day all the old timers have planted their cool plants ( lettuce radishes ect.) I do not have my garden ready and it is too wet. Have the manure and all cleaned off for the event. Read for the good stuff from the garden.

Lucky! I still have a few more feet of snow to melt and a few more months of warming up before I can garden. I already bought all my seeds and now I am just waitinggggg. Hope you can get started soon & enjoy :D

hillrancher":13ginv6d said:
Valentine day is the the day all the old timers have planted their cool plants ( lettuce radishes ect.) Read for the good stuff from the garden.

Maybe in your area, but not in mine! :lol: :lol: It will be a few months before the ground thaws out and temps are conducive for garden plants. I hear you on the good stuff, though. I hope your able to get your garden in pretty soon. :)

We have collards, cabbage and onions doing pretty good. Turnips are pretty picked over so I let the bulls eat the rest of them. We finally got some rain and its amazing what a little water can do for things. Lot of people getting their dirt ready here. I'm ready for the good stuff too.

LoveMoo11":3cj6h1qv said:
Lucky! I still have a few more feet of snow to melt and a few more months of warming up before I can garden. I already bought all my seeds and now I am just waitinggggg. Hope you can get started soon & enjoy :D
msscamp":3cj6h1qv said:
hillrancher":3cj6h1qv said:
Valentine day is the the day all the old timers have planted their cool plants ( lettuce radishes ect.) Read for the good stuff from the garden.

Maybe in your area, but not in mine! :lol: :lol: It will be a few months before the ground thaws out and temps are conducive for garden plants. I hear you on the good stuff, though. I hope your able to get your garden in pretty soon. :)

Same here. I wish I could plant a garden but pretty difficult in about 5 feet of snow.

Jo, off topic, but I was at Bob Evans' (yes the Bob Evans resturant man) farm in Ohio a few years ago and he was letting some university do test plots with his cattle grazing turnips. He was a very good cattleman raising Charolais. How well does it work and do they dig up and eat all of the turnip?

Got the onions planted and I have cut of the taters and am letting them dry out a little. I have my spinach seeds going, too.

kenny thomas":1b3chpa8 said:
Jo, off topic, but I was at Bob Evans' (yes the Bob Evans resturant man) farm in Ohio a few years ago and he was letting some university do test plots with his cattle grazing turnips. He was a very good cattleman raising Charolais. How well does it work and do they dig up and eat all of the turnip?

I've never actually grazed turnips till last week. It was only a plot about 40 x 20 but the bulls took to it like candy. For two days the grazed the tops pulling some of the roots out of the ground. These were laying everywhere. Today, I only found two roots. I was impressed at how clean they cleaned the plot.

Planted onions a few weeks ago and got some of the potatoes planted this past weekend. I hope I will have enough this year, I only planted 6000 onions and will have total 1000 lbs of taters......

csutton":nz5bwrhb said:
Planted onions a few weeks ago and got some of the potatoes planted this past weekend. I hope I will have enough this year, I only planted 6000 onions and will have total 1000 lbs of taters......

:shock: What do you do with all of those onions and potatoes? You couldn't possibly eat all of them - could you? :shock:

msscamp":37kvowwz said:
csutton":37kvowwz said:

:shock: What do you do with all of those onions and potatoes? You couldn't possibly eat all of them - could you? :shock:

Every one! :lol2:

Nah, we sell at a farmers market, so most get sold.

What do you guys think about using the bottom plow to prepare the garden. I just can't seem to get my garden (oats cover crop) clean enough with the disc? I would love to have one of the roto tiller type attachments.

I like to turn it. Like you say, its sometimes hard to get it smooth if you don't. I'm not sure of this but I think it is better for the soil if you turn the green stuff under where it can rot too.

I bought a six foot tiller last year when some good fortune came my way. I love it and highly recommend getting one if you are going to do much gardening.

Latest posts