Today is the big day

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
I don't post on the show thread, mainly because we don't show. The past couple of years we have been helping out a young lady, she is keeping her steer at our home place that was set up for showing when our boys showed. Jessica and her mom Sarah Jane have been a joy to watch, they have worked so hard with both calves. The first calf they didn't keep at our place it was for the spring show so they were able to keep it at the 4-H facility. The second calf was for our fair they offer facilities for kids to keep the calves at the fairgrounds but it is almost an hour drive for them twice a day. She did a great job with her first calf and stood reserve grand champion. Our son Jacob helped her find her fair calf, she wanted one with color Jacob was just trying to find good and within budget. I think he found good and black is a color just not what Jessica had in mind. She named him Red so he does have a colorful name. Ok enough with my rambling tell me what you think of him Jacob is hauling him to the fair grounds this morning.

This photo was taken a couple months ago I woke up and found red out and eating my day lilies. Oops

This photo was taken last night, they have done all they can do now it will be up to the judge. He is a sporty looking calf, he has a good finish on him now we just wait and see.

Gizmom

A pretty steer. Obviously, it is part of the show routine to push them with a feed program. In the first picture on the lawn, his pose made we wonder how his joints and legs are holding up. Does he walk well?

He is pretty. 5 years ago that would be a no doubt grand champion at that fair. Now the competition at that fair has grown leaps and bounds. That calf should be in the conversation for sure. The exhibitor is a nice young lady, and I hope she has a great experience this week.

Vince
I don't remember who the sire is.

Jscunn

Your right five years ago he would have walked away with it, now he will be competitive but certainly I don't know if he is going to be good enough to pull it off.

He is clubby bred weighed in today at 1183 he needed to be around 1250. The heat this summer has been brutal and we don't have a cooler just an old barn. He wasn't a real aggressive eater either.

One thing for sure is Jessica did a great job with the calf, however it turns out she should be very proud of what she has accomplished.

Gizmom

Well she won the costume class, stood third in her market steer class I would of put her second, but I wasn't the judge. She didn't place in showmanship but made the final cut which was great since this is just her second year showing. I really liked the judge, I didn't agree with every class but he was very consistent in picking like and kind, and had the advantage of putting his hands on the calves. The sale is Wednesday night she has also done her homework on marketing her calf so she should be a happy young lady after the sale. Jscunn I had not been out to the fair for years, the overall quality of the show has sure jumped several notches for sure.

Gizmom

Gizmom

I would not have questioned his legs in the "lawn" picture. Looked fine. Did appear to have a lot of shoulder in that picture.
Overall, really nice profiling steer. She did a great job working the hair with all the heat you had. Amazing he even HAS any hair!!! Good job.

Nice calf and the young woman obviously worked hard on it! I like the steer a ton, from behind the shoulders back. His front end is pretty coarse and his right front has knee issue. He would have placed at about the same spot in most county fairs up here too. Better than the vast majority, but if a barn burner shows up, he will get second. Congrats to the young lady on a job well done!

Boot Jack Bulls":2sron3hf said:
Nice calf and the young woman obviously worked hard on it! I like the steer a ton, from behind the shoulders back. His front end is pretty coarse and his right front has knee issue. He would have placed at about the same spot in most county fairs up here too. Better than the vast majority, but if a barn burner shows up, he will get second. Congrats to the young lady on a job well done!

I am a novice at this sort of game! However, that is exactly what I saw that generated my comment.

Bright Raven":iexm3md3 said:
Boot Jack Bulls":iexm3md3 said:

I am a novice at this sort of game! However, that is exactly what I saw that generated my comment.

You are catching on Raven! I also think he is a touch small footed for his bone/frame, and that combined with heavy feeding typical of show steers probably did not help his knees to stay clean and smooth. BTW, you can tell he is clubby bred just by those ears! There is something in the set, shape and shag that is only found in clubbies.

gizmom said:
I don't post on the show thread, mainly because we don't show. The past couple of years we have been helping out a young lady, she is keeping her steer at our home place that was set up for showing when our boys showed. Jessica and her mom Sarah Jane have been a joy to watch, they have worked so hard with both calves. The first calf they didn't keep at our place it was for the spring show so they were able to keep it at the 4-H facility. The second calf was for our fair they offer facilities for kids to keep the calves at the fairgrounds but it is almost an hour drive for them twice a day. She did a great job with her first calf and stood reserve grand champion. Our son Jacob helped her find her fair calf, she wanted one with color Jacob was just trying to find good and within budget. I think he found good and black is a color just not what Jessica had in mind. She named him Red so he does have a colorful name. Ok enough with my rambling tell me what you think of him Jacob is hauling him to the fair grounds this morning.

This photo was taken a couple months ago I woke up and found red out and eating my day lilies. Oops

This photo was taken last night, they have done all they can do now it will be up to the judge. He is a sporty looking calf, he has a good finish on him now we just wait and see.

Gizmom

Wow!!