Today is a sad day

Help Support CattleToday:

jwtexas

Reaction score
Got a chunk of land(900acres) across from me where no one lives and its leased for cattle. Well I was up front this morning and saw 4 trucks out there that I had never seen so I went to see what they were doing. Turns out they are surveyors and the land is being divided into 5 and 10 acre plots. :mad: This has really ruined my day.

Every time I see prime farm land being turned into subdivisions I cringe-I keep wondering what folks plan on doing when we finally run out of land. Last time I heard they had stopped making the stuff. :(

Sorry J.W. 900 acres divided up equates to 100 families and 200 dogs. Hopefully they won't have all their kids climbing through your fences and tearing out the steeples. You'd better get ready to put up a lunatic front.

Had kids on my place once throwing rocks at my dog. We were out for a stroll and I began working on some things. He ran down to the end of my place. I saw what was going on and asked them to quit. They said, "He needs to go home." I said "he is home" and they then told me where my house was. I ordered them back over the fence and off my property. Then I found all the broken glass from bottles they had brought over to throw rocks at. They were just being boys. Their parents should teach them better.

I wish you luck. Maybe you'll get some good neighbors to balance the effect.

holly heifer":bu9b0yrr said:
:mad: NO FARMS--- NO FOOD. :mad: Where do the city folk
think their full bellies come from?????

You mean they think? :shock: About something as basic as food? ;-)

Food is cheap and plentiful.

Rest assured it will be a long time before anyone worries about it.

Dollars are first.

While many will not - MOST will sell out if the money is right.

So, to stop this from happening, it is important to make it possible to actually make money on the farm or ranch. When that happens it will be easier to stop the encroachment of civilization.

Too bad about your neighbour, but this is reality.

Bez!

we were notified week before last that the town is planning on putting a sewer under our main pasture and the eventual plan is for the county to put a main road right through the middle of it - (making it impossible for the cows to get to the pond)
so now we are wondering just how long the town is going to take to "invite" us into the city limits and then complain / restrict us out of the chicken and cattle business

actually we started looking at maybe buying a new place - luckily with all of the people buying up the pastures around here the land prices have gone through the roof
Mom is ticked - she has just gotten the house like she wants it and now has to think about moving :roll:

jwtexas":3kx9ub88 said:
Got a chunk of land(900acres) across from me where no one lives and its leased for cattle. Well I was up front this morning and saw 4 trucks out there that I had never seen so I went to see what they were doing. Turns out they are surveyors and the land is being divided into 5 and 10 acre plots. :mad: This has really ruined my day.
well i hate this for you :mad: now you will have to look at emus,lamas,burros, goats, peacocks,etc. forget about cattle its gonna be a hobbist orgy :(

Bez!":1g03si49 said:
So, to stop this from happening, it is important to make it possible to actually make money on the farm or ranch.
Bez!

Problem is that everyone's solution is to increase output per acre. That is a thought process for short term survival.

Unless demand for the over produced products can be increased significantly, this mentality will only speed up the demise of farming/ranching as we know it.

holly heifer":12acg80k said:

In fact the average citizen in North America get their food in the following manner:

1. Via the telephone.
2. Lining up at a restaurant.
3. In a box or a bag

There is little to no thought about where it really comes from.

In reality the farmer can no longer educate the consumer - it is now the other way around. The consumer is educating the producer.

Bez!

I despise development. Ever notice how they cut all the trees and call the subdivision Forest Glen, Oak Forest, Willow Brook, etc?

jwtexas":1qps7855 said:

Texas has some great tresspass laws to protect ranching farmers. Start filing and word will get out you don't tolerate it.
If not you will have every ranchette owner. there kids and dogs tramping all over your place exposing you to liabilities.

Rustler9":10qrdd83 said:
I keep wondering what folks plan on doing when we finally run out of land. Last time I heard they had stopped making the stuff. :(

I wonder the same.

In addition to "where will our food come from?" On a parcel of land, 900 acres in size, with all those houses, I wonder about the water. Where will all the water come from to "plumb" those houses.

Katherine

msscamp":2kn8vplm said:
holly heifer":2kn8vplm said:

The grocery store. :roll:

Your totally right msscamp it is ridiculous how people think this.

Oh yeah...and our cows have shorter legs on one side from walking around the hill, poor things can't turn around, just have to walk all the way around.
It is good to know that the grand children know where their groceries and meat comes from.
Went to a risk management seminar this past week and it got pretty scary with all the liability if someone visits your farm. Some folks do farm tours for the school districts and one conducts workshops...talk about liability. Thinking CB's philosophy isn't all that bad, may put up a "go away sign".
dmC

Workinonit Farm":nj3zjllc said:
Rustler9":nj3zjllc said:
I keep wondering what folks plan on doing when we finally run out of land. Last time I heard they had stopped making the stuff. :(

I wonder the same.

In addition to "where will our food come from?" On a parcel of land, 900 acres in size, with all those houses, I wonder about the water. Where will all the water come from to "plumb" those houses.

Katherine
Never mind where does it come from? where will it all go? All those city types washing the car every Saturday morning with detergents going into OUR water supply..
Luckily PEI has no work- no work = no immigration= no house building

The dairy where I work conducts both seminars and hosts tours regularly. This is a source of concern to the herd manager who sees the bio-security risks more than the owners. Only thing he and I can conclude is that while we might lose our jobs if the whole herd was whiped out the dairy would go back into business.

As far as land being sold off, we have that here too. The small dairies are going fast, and the land that these guys farmed is now being sold off to developers. It pains me to see beautiful farmland being turned into houses for rich folks from St. Paul.