Today’s stockyard adventure.

Help Support CattleToday:

Ky hills

Reaction score
Went today to try to get another steer/bull calf.
Had seen last night on FB that they had a Jersey milk cow with a heifer calf. Since we have two bottle calves at the moment, I went back to nostalgia of when I had nurse cows.
$1600 later got a 4 yr old Jersey cow with a calf.
The fun didn't stop there but probably should have.
A heifer calf they advertised as a longhorn, I think she has some ear in her too, came in and brought her home too.
Then a Belted Galloway cow with a heifer calf about as big as her came in and for some reason or another they came home with us too,
Also found a 585# black bull calf, to feed out.
Didn't buy the Brahman bull, but he was a pretty good one I believe, said he was 3 and come from Hudson or something similar in Texas. He weighed I believe 1900+ and brought $2000 if I remember. They also sold a nice looking younger tiger stripe bull too.
FDC10FE4-7713-4F7F-B946-BBA98C483FA9.jpeg82975FCE-2750-4769-A4A9-A911841E37D0.jpeg1553A6D7-C13C-4EE7-AC56-703472529153.jpeg35B0BD7E-0D38-4C9C-8A56-7C4F6F28D105.jpeg16234C39-055E-47D9-B19D-FD085ABF88E6.jpegF8D04025-4DD2-481B-84CC-095C66D405BA.jpeg61FE77C7-6385-4D93-944D-398C8C7F4C40.jpeg
D61963D6-A2AD-4BDC-9F61-8204468916C9.jpeg

Last edited:
Had seen last night on FB that they had a Jersey milk cow with a heifer calf. Since we have two bottle calves at the moment, I went back to nostalgia of when I had nurse cows.
A heifer calf they advertised as a longhorn, I think she has some ear in her too, came in and brought her home too.
Then a Belted Galloway cow with a heifer calf about as big as her came in and for some reason or another they came home with us too,
Didn't buy the Brahman bull, but he was a pretty good one I believe, said he was 3 and come from Hudson or something similar in Texas. He weighed I believe 1900+ and brought $2000 if I remember. They also sold a nice looking younger tiger stripe bull too.
View attachment 27763View attachment 27764View attachment 27765View attachment 27766View attachment 27767View attachment 27768View attachment 27769
View attachment 27770
We're gonna have to start calling you Murry II 😉

View attachment 27763View attachment 27764View attachment 27765View attachment 27766View attachment 27767View attachment 27768View attachment 27769
View attachment 27770
Most excellent day!!
I'd a probly passed on the longhorn cross myself. I've had a hard time coming up with a place to cash in on them.

1600 for all????
Or just the jersey pair?
She's Beautiful!
Nice n gentle?
Looks like plenty to feed a few calves.

Where is @Lannie

Edited to add.
Nice Beltie too!! Age? Bred back?

Most excellent day!!
I'd a probly passed on the longhorn cross myself. I've had a hard time coming up with a place to cash in on them.

1600 for all????
Or just the jersey pair?
She's Beautiful!
Nice n gentle?

Where is @Lannie

Edited to add.
Meant to ask if you're going to buy the belties.

1600 for all????
Or just the jersey pair?
She's Beautiful!
Nice n gentle?

Where is @Lannie

Edited to add.
Unfortunately, $1600 just for the Jersey pair.
Yes she's real gentle, they lead her in the ring and showed they could milk her. Supposed to be 4 years old, with an AI sired heifer. When we got home the longhorn calf was nursing her on the trailer.
Not sure about the Belted cow, probably old,
The longhorn, is just going to be a pasture ornament, always like having one or two around. The last one we had got struck by lightning.

Most excellent day!!

1600 for all????
Or just the jersey pair?
She's Beautiful!
Nice n gentle?

Where is @Lannie

Edited to add.

Ohhhh, no, no Jersey cows for Lannie! I love a cross, but not a full-blood. Too much milk for me to handle, and unless I had a bunch of calves, I couldn't be a "lazy milker." She IS pretty, though. I do wish I could bring home a trailer load of new cows and calves. What fun!

I have to also say, that bull was GORGEOUS! :)

No there have been 3 cattle struck by lightning over the years here and I don't remember anything like that .
Maybe it was the heat? It was a day or three before I got around to her and that's the best way I can describe the smell of the burnt hair, birth, flesh, etc in the 100 degree heat. Maybe just me?

Yes she's real gentle, they lead her in the ring and showed they could milk her. Supposed to be 4 years old, with an AI sired heifer. When we got home the longhorn calf was nursing her on the trailer.
The longhorn, is just going to be a pasture ornament, always like having one or two around. The last one we had got struck by lightning.
I had forgotten about them not checking the cows age in at least some KY stockyards. A good looking cow that's heavy bred can make some money by not being aged.
I was 40 minutes from Lee City Friday afternoon. Guess I need to bring g a few up there sometime. When the sale was on Monday I would send my oddballs up there. The odd ones sold much better there.

Hopefully the longhorn won't be a milk thief. If it gets the idea it can steal from every cow in your pastures it could be a problem.

Maybe it was the heat? It was a day or three before I got around to her and that's the best way I can describe the smell of the burnt hair, birth, flesh, etc in the 100 degree heat. Maybe just me?
Could be, there could have been an odor and I just didn't notice it to the point of remembering. There are definitely some odors that stick out like that in your mind.
One time a lightning strike killed a big steer and blowed its hooves off.

Latest posts