Tobacco

Help Support CattleToday:

snoopdog

Reaction score
Ive grown a few plants before , mostly as a novelty . It seems to like nitrogen. What is the minimum room I should allow for between plants and does the variety make a difference ? These Ihave this time are an heirloom variety from the cherokee seed bank. Should they be planted in north /south rows or does it make any difference ? Do they like phosphorus ?

It doesn't matter what direction. We raised tobacco. It was our cash crop. Generally you plant along the contour of the field. The rows are wide enough to walk between so you can drop sticks without breaking leaves. The plants in each row are about 2 feet apart. We grew Burley tobacco.

2vab613.jpg

For something like your doing, I'd probably plant them 2 feet apart. Get the rows on out there to 30", maybe 3'. Not familiar with any heirloom varieties. I've got a sneaking suspicion, that the plant will be shorter than what I'm used to seeing, with smaller and narrower leaves. Might be giant, but I doubt it.

I wish I had a nickel, for every hour I've spent in a tobacco patch. It's honest work, that makes men out of boys. You hold that dollar a little closer, when you earned it in the tobacco patch. I can't even believe how many fond memories, I have of my time working in it.

Sadly, I remember the day I started using cuss words. Wish I had that day back. I was pulling gympsum weeds up, and carrying them to the end of the row and throwing them in a hog pen. It was dark tobacco, that is far more brittle than burley. I had to carry them out above my head. Nobody around for miles, just me, a jug of water, and a few packs of crackers (my dads prefered way to leave us in the field. If he never picked you up for lunch, you had little to complain about). I decided to give cussing a try. I cussed the tobacco, cussed the heat, cussed the hogs, cussed everything in sight. No doubt in my mind, those hot days molded most of the decisions I made later in life. Wish I had that sad day back.

Bigfoot":2yq5agn7 said:
For something like your doing, I'd probably plant them 2 feet apart. Get the rows on out there to 30", maybe 3'. Not familiar with any heirloom varieties. I've got a sneaking suspicion, that the plant will be shorter than what I'm used to seeing, with smaller and narrower leaves. Might be giant, but I doubt it.

I wish I had a nickel, for every hour I've spent in a tobacco patch. It's honest work, that makes men out of boys. You hold that dollar a little closer, when you earned it in the tobacco patch. I can't even believe how many fond memories, I have of my time working in it.

Sadly, I remember the day I started using cuss words. Wish I had that day back. I was pulling gympsum weeds up, and carrying them to the end of the row and throwing them in a hog pen. It was dark tobacco, that is far more brittle than burley. I had to carry them out above my head. Nobody around for miles, just me, a jug of water, and a few packs of crackers (my dads prefered way to leave us in the field. If he never picked you up for lunch, you had little to complain about). I decided to give cussing a try. I cussed the tobacco, cussed the heat, cussed the hogs, cussed everything in sight. No doubt in my mind, those hot days molded most of the decisions I made later in life. Wish I had that sad day back.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

That is a good story. I can relate to that so well. :clap:

Bigfoot":uqiwu68h said:

I swear. My brother and I had a day identical to that. Dad left us all day with water and a sandwich. We cussed everything we could think of. I told Eddie, when I get old enough, I am leaving here and never coming back. When I went off to college, I rarely went home. Some guys ask me why, and I said would you leave the Copacabana to go back to the Super 6. Lol

Bigfoot":eydwe2an said:

I can understand your story. I use to put out four acres every year and worked another job. Also I didn't use Mexicans either. After two trips to the emergency room for green tobacco sickness and it seemed every time I worked in it wet I got sick, after many years I gave it up. It is hard work from the bed to the bale and almost year around if you grow good tobacco.

Bright Raven":lge4j3bf said:
It doesn't matter what direction. We raised tobacco. It was our cash crop. Generally you plant along the contour of the field. The rows are wide enough to walk between so you can drop sticks without breaking leaves. The plants in each row are about 2 feet apart. We grew Burley tobacco.

2vab613.jpg
Thanks guys for the input, I can definitely relate to the stories even though my experience wasn't with tobacco. What do you mean by "droppng sticks" BR?

snoopdog":15h5rv54 said:
Bright Raven":15h5rv54 said:

2vab613.jpg
Thanks guys for the input, I can definitely relate to the stories even though my experience wasn't with tobacco. What do you mean by "droppng sticks" BR?

Refer to that picture. Tobacco leaves grow along a stalk about 2 to 3 inches in diameter. The tobacco plant is cut at the base with a tobacco knife (like a hatchet - notice the man has one in his hand). The stalk is "speared" onto a wooden "stick" about 42 inches long. Five stalks is speared onto each stick. Those sticks are dropped between the rows so the man cutting has them available as he cuts tobacco.

Bigfoot":1n8ywwf7 said:

I have to ask...what would you do differently if you had that day back?

bball":1kj6ncxv said:
Bigfoot":1kj6ncxv said:

Never started cussing. Which, as we all know, would have been replaced by some other day that I started cussing.

Bigfoot":1ymcy3nv said:
bball":1ymcy3nv said:
Bigfoot":1ymcy3nv said:

Never started cussing. Which, as we all know, would have been replaced by some other day that I started cussing.

You don't strike me as a man who has a foul mouth. I confess, I cuss more than I should. It's a vice that I haven't put enough effort into eliminating.

bball":20wbjcom said:
Bigfoot":20wbjcom said:
bball":20wbjcom said:
[/b]

You don't strike me as a man who has a foul mouth. I confess, I cuss more than I should. It's a vice that I haven't put enough effort into eliminating.

I don't know, but I had a time as a young man, that I used cuss words like commas.

Bigfoot":1bkcw6hf said:
bball":1bkcw6hf said:
Bigfoot":1bkcw6hf said:

I don't know, but I had a time as a young man, that I used cuss words like commas.

I was a bit surprised to hear that too, but I completely understand, as I have had that habit something awful too. I got an early start with the cussin habit, my dad did a lot of it, as did most of the other folks he was around. As a teen and young adult, I probably couldn't say three words with out slippin one or two in. As I have gotten older I have tried to stop that stuff, and have successfully cut way back, but old habits die hard. Something about farming and things not always going according to plan in doing so that can bring a cuss word or two out still :hide:

Ky hills":2nz47y89 said:
Bigfoot":2nz47y89 said:
bball":2nz47y89 said:

I was a bit surprised to hear that too, but I completely understand, as I have had that habit something awful too. I got an early start with the cussin habit, my dad did a lot of it, as did most of the other folks he was around. As a teen and young adult, I probably couldn't say three words with out slippin one or two in. As I have gotten older I have tried to stop that stuff, and have successfully cut way back, but old habits die hard. Something about farming and things not always going according to plan in doing so that can bring a cuss word or two out still :hide:

It is odd. The oldtime farmers were divided into two groups....

1. They never said a foul word or....
2. They cussed like sailors. My dad was in that crowd. :lol:

Cussing is a foul habit that's very hard to stop. I work hard at not swearing but I loose the battle when I get mad. I've sure said a lot of things I wish I hadn't.

I cussed like a sailor as a teen...When I had kids, I was able to never cuss..But once my last kid was out of school, I let the expletives fly..I mainly cuss in front of my husband and try not to in front of anyone else....but *hit happens..lol I did surprise myself the other day when I was insulted for the last time by the idiot neighbor and when I zipped back by him on the way home I gave him the finger...It came back to me like riding a bike..lol....

I still grow tobacco 90 acres the last couple years. It is grown in the field at 40'' between rows and 20-24 in row spacing. It likes n and potash but if much murate of potash is used it affects the cure. This is burley tobacco

I must be weird. I always enjoy raising tobacco. At the end of the day you could look back and see what you had accomplished. I was actually upset with my dad the year we stopped raising it and he sold his allotment.