Toad Hatch

Help Support CattleToday:

Jogeephus

Reaction score
Any of you experience toad hatches in your area? This years hatch wasn't as good as year before last but we have quite a few. Its interesting to watch the ground move with the little buggers. My dog has been mesmerized by their activity and is finally learning they don't taste too good. :lol2:

You know, I never have many toads around here. My parent's house always had a bunch though and I saw some while I was having the estate sale.

I have a couple liveing in the flowerbed that I keep watered.
I thought toads hatched into tadpoles in the water like frogs-never saw any hatch tho.

peg4x4":af39q8fu said:
I have a couple liveing in the flowerbed that I keep watered.
I thought toads hatched into tadpoles in the water like frogs-never saw any hatch tho.

I've never actually seen a hatch but about this time of year when we get a good rain thousands of little tiny toads just appear out of the grass. Sometimes they are so thick you can't walk without smushing a few. When my daughter was 2 or 3 we had a heavy hatch and she had a blast playing with them. And not a wart one did she get. ;-) :lol2:

Ok-that I've seen. Had 'em so heavy at the homeplace I had to watch where I stepped. Cute little things.

I've seen a few tiny ones. We have about 6-7 big toads that go into a hole that goes beneath the slab the hosuse is built on and come out every night. Guess they had a few offspring.

We have three toads, we just love them. They come out every night and keep us entertained. My sister-in law is here from California, she has a video on her phone that she took the other night. If we can get a card reader today to plug into the computer we will post the video. She picked up the toad and he was actually chirping, it was way fun ;-) I didn't know they would make sounds like that :shock:
We call the toad Pac-Man because he looks like a little pac-man game running around eating all the bugs. Our cat Baby will not touch them, I guess he found out they aren't all that tasty, too :lol:

Last summer, Hubby noticed that a few toads would gather under the bug zapper. I guess to them it was a bbq. So every night he would run the bug zapper for a couple hours. We got so many "resident" toads he had to quit, you couldn't walk anywhere without stepping on them. Around dusk, the ground came alive with toads headed for the bug zapper. When he quit running it regularly, it only took a few days to get back down to the normal few toads we see.

In 1993, when it rained incessantly and all the flooding was going on, there would be waves of baby toads crossing the roads and you couldn't do anything but put tire tracks across the mob. Our son called them flatheads, as in, "last one across the road is a flathead!"

grannysoo":1kxa860n said:
We've got quite a few toads, and zillions of green rain frogs. They really sing at night!

I never see them but I hear them at night. If they are singing for rain, they are gonna have to wait awhile around here.

I hate toads and frogs both. Yeah I know they are good and eat bugs and all that but they just creep me out. We had a little frog pop out of the bedding cart into one of the calf pens and the calf slurped it right up and swallowed it.

Latest posts