To the sale barn

Help Support CattleToday:

AZAggie

Reaction score
Loaded up 22 calves and 2 old cows and took them to the sale barn yesterday. The calves could have used a few more months of feed, but I don't want to feed them this winter. Hay is in short supply around here. Hopefully they do well.

Good luck! Calves are up a little here, butcher & canner cows not so much. I'm getting ready to wean & will probably keep the calves until next year, let them graze the brome field but I'm worried we're going to be short on hay.

just sent some in I got off CL for cheap. we'll see how they do.

The market samples from the sale didn't look bad. I should know what I made tomorrow. Crossing my fingers it was good. I've got plans to turn it all back into the operation; seed, feed, diesel, fertilizer, etc. I only have one cow over 5 yrs old left in the herd. Next year, I should have around 40 calves to sell as we have quite a few heifers that should have calves this next year.

wow..didn't do the greatest.. .60 cents on a decent red heifer 550 lbs. other prices were OK but not great...

first time at this barn and looks like it'll be the last. looks like i'll be a buyer though :)

ddd75":30asfac8 said:
wow..didn't do the greatest.. .60 cents on a decent red heifer 550 lbs. other prices were OK but not great...

first time at this barn and looks like it'll be the last. looks like i'll be a buyer though :)
Another reason to always be there when they sell.

Stopped in at the La Grande sale yesterday for a while. I thought prices were pretty good. One lot of 163 head of 553 pound steers sold for $1.6425 a pound. Another lot of 43 head of 399 pound steers brought $1.96. The steer/heifer spread seemed a little big as heifers ran about 30 cents back of their steer brothers.

Mine turned out OK. My calves were a little light, but I knew that going in. I didn't want to feed the little boogers all winter. Not enough hay around here, and if it doesn't quit raining soon, I'm not going to get what I have left to cut out of the field. Steers/bull calves averaged about 440 lbs and $1.86 per lb I think (going off memory), and that was skewed by one bull calf that only brought $1.45. The heifers were real light, only a 340 lb average and $1.62 per lb.

AZAggie":w3t8rbxx said:
Mine turned out OK. My calves were a little light, but I knew that going in. I didn't want to feed the little boogers all winter. Not enough hay around here, and if it doesn't quit raining soon, I'm not going to get what I have left to cut out of the field. Steers/bull calves averaged about 440 lbs and $1.86 per lb I think (going off memory), and that was skewed by one bull calf that only brought $1.45. The heifers were real light, only a 340 lb average and $1.62 per lb.
They brought better than average according to the usda report, so congratulations! I think we all still expect 2014 prices, but it just aint happenin.

Friend of mine sold some Holstein steers Friday. They weight 1200 lbs. they never where dehorned but was descent steers. He called me mad as a hornet they only brought .35 a pound.

pricefarm":sl1mm17h said:
Friend of mine sold some Holstein steers Friday. They weight 1200 lbs. they never where dehorned but was descent steers. He called me mad as a hornet they only brought .35 a pound.

thats pretty bad.

Sold mine today. 12 steers averaged 578 and brought $1.38. One heifer weighed 600 and brought $1.32. Small heifer (350) brought $1.27. They pulled one dark red steer off.... he weighed 515 and brought $1.15. Don't know what was wrong with him. I thought he was pretty nice. Overall I'm happy.

I was happy. I've found my sale barn, that's for sure. Much better then the one that is closer to me. It's worth the extra drive.

Latest posts