To The Older Generation

Help Support CattleToday:

ALACOWMAN":3ljdkbhx said:
Brandonm22":3ljdkbhx said:
Yea, I need to get motivated and go get a new carburetor (or another rebuild kit) and a new distributor for that thing. Now his 1940 Case SC has PROBABLY reached the point of no return.
as long as mine will crank and move it has a home..... she aint give a reason to run her across the scrap metal scales.... but im gonna double its value this evening....i got to fill the tank ;-)
:lol: :cry2: :cry2: Glad you don't plan to change the oil at the same time...maybe next month :cry2: :cry2:

TexasBred":disu4zhi said:
ALACOWMAN":disu4zhi said:
Brandonm22":disu4zhi said:
Yea, I need to get motivated and go get a new carburetor (or another rebuild kit) and a new distributor for that thing. Now his 1940 Case SC has PROBABLY reached the point of no return.
as long as mine will crank and move it has a home..... she aint give a reason to run her across the scrap metal scales.... but im gonna double its value this evening....i got to fill the tank ;-)
:lol: :cry2: :cry2: Glad you don't plan to change the oil at the same time...maybe next month :cry2: :cry2:
I said double.. could be triple by the time i get home :(

I don't think we can stress too much the importance of quality genetics.

The ATV is relatively old technology now, but for most folks, it has sped up the light choring and checking. Much more agile and nimble than a tractor or pickup, and don't have to saddle it like a horse.

Solar fence chargers have been around a while, but my uncle really likes his late model one versus the old plug in.

I'm old enough to remember when pour on wormers first appeared, and I think they've made life easier, especially when you've got cows like mine. Most of them can be wormed simply by pouring out some mineral or range cubes, and pour it on while they are preoccupied. I remember the stressful old way that grandpa and uncle used to do it with the old time Safe Guard(?) down the throat.

novatech":1nfuul2u said:
To give you an example. I disagreed with you , Doc, Knersie and others on these boards about frame score on cows as to their efficiency. I took the time to read your posts and do research on the subject. Because of this I have changed my opinion. I am to old and to small to make a difference in the industry. But as a hole I beleive this is the attitude that the future cattleman should have if they want to stay in business.
Throwing fert. on the ground with out knowing the soil requirements is no longer an option. Should it be any different for our breeding practices.

I admire the strength to change opinion when proven that the other one is more right; I myself have to think carefully about this as I tend to decide what is right and close my ears.

I think the biggest problem we have with new technology is trying to determine wither or not it is something that actually works or is just good marketing by the producer of that technology. And secondly even if we beleive it works how can we profit from it?
If we take our cattle to the sale barn most of our efforts in efficiency or quality would never be paid for unless we had years of reputation standing behind it. Therefore buyers are forced to buy on breed reputation alone.

Thanks for all the great answers. I am really trying to do alot of research on this subject and having the opinions of other people help alot. Thanks again!

We try to spend our money where it counts the most. We buy the best bulls we can afford. Keep our vaccination program up to date. We cull cows very hard. If she ain't bred in 90 days she's gone. We may try for 60 days this year. The best thing we have done in the last 10 years is rotational grazing. I really liked the mob grazing post the other day. If I can figure out how to get my water moved around a little easier I will try that for weed control and added fertilization. We are getting this down to a pretty good system, but not as good as the mob grazing. We have enough ground now that we can run the cows almost year round on grass. We stock pile alot of fescue for the winter and have started planting sudan to get us through the summer. Our goal is to get our small herd (thirty cows) by on no more than sixty round bales. We usually put up more than that and save it in case of drought,but that is my goal this year. The second best thing we have done is move to a fall calving season (turn the bull out November 20). The cows seem to breed back quicker and the calves are weaned at spring green up and gain most of their weight on grass. We have older equipment and this year I had our hay custom harvested and compared the cost with last year. The cost was only a small amount more to have it custom harvested by the time I figured fuel, time off from work, and the same amount of breakdowns I had last year. It was done quick and at the proper time for optimal nutrition with no break downs. It is already under the tarps and the ground is about ready for it's first rotation of grazing. We are marketing in select sales this year and I hope to see an increase profit from that. We aren't afraid to try different things. We just try to be as informed as possible before we take the plunge.

Devin":2k4j4w92 said:
We try to spend our money where it counts the most. We buy the best bulls we can afford. Keep our vaccination program up to date. We cull cows very hard. If she ain't bred in 90 days she's gone. We may try for 60 days this year. The best thing we have done in the last 10 years is rotational grazing. I really liked the mob grazing post the other day. If I can figure out how to get my water moved around a little easier I will try that for weed control and added fertilization. We are getting this down to a pretty good system, but not as good as the mob grazing. We have enough ground now that we can run the cows almost year round on grass. We stock pile alot of fescue for the winter and have started planting sudan to get us through the summer. Our goal is to get our small herd (thirty cows) by on no more than sixty round bales. We usually put up more than that and save it in case of drought,but that is my goal this year. The second best thing we have done is move to a fall calving season (turn the bull out November 20). The cows seem to breed back quicker and the calves are weaned at spring green up and gain most of their weight on grass. We have older equipment and this year I had our hay custom harvested and compared the cost with last year. The cost was only a small amount more to have it custom harvested by the time I figured fuel, time off from work, and the same amount of breakdowns I had last year. It was done quick and at the proper time for optimal nutrition with no break downs. It is already under the tarps and the ground is about ready for it's first rotation of grazing. We are marketing in select sales this year and I hope to see an increase profit from that. We aren't afraid to try different things. We just try to be as informed as possible before we take the plunge.
Devin-

This post of yours today is one of the most informative bits of practical and usable threads I have seen in months! Every beef breeder can benefit from at least one part of this thread! It makes no difference if a breeder is a rank beginner, or has been raising beef all of his/her life, the suggestions, hints, and thoughts on here can help everyone. It is presented in a concise, condensed and to the point method, and is interesting enough that one can almost follow you around your place throughout the year and help you do the chores! :banana:

Well done!

DOC HARRIS