to steer or not to steer

Help Support CattleToday:

dsjm

Reaction score
I have two Dexter bull calves I was orginally going to keep and sell as bulls so I didn't cut them when they were little. They are now 8 and 9 months old.

I am thinking about putting them in the freezer in about 5-6 months. Do I need to steer them or will it make a difference? They are separate but adjacent to my cows. Any ideas??

If you're going to put them in the freezer, it won't make a difference. If you change your mind and decide to sell them, however, you'll probably take a double hit at the sale barn - one for them being bulls and possibly another for them being Dexter's, depending on your area. Just my thoughts.

msscamp is right. beef with the prize cut off taste the same as beef with the prize left on. the difference i see is with the prize left on you get better grow out of em and ya gets to eat the prize come butcher day! have the little misses cook em up for the boys whiles your doen the butcheren and theyl thank ya!

1 thought is dont keep them whole if they start kicken up a fuss. ther aint no dang bull thats a friend and theyl hurt ya ifen they get a chance!

I'd cut them-- its not worth the hassel of dealing with aged bulls on high feed-- they are not the same as having pasture breeding bulls around. Could end up costing you a whole lot in fencing and possibly medical costs-- Why bother???

Howdyjabo":1jqamxk2 said:
I'd cut them-- its not worth the hassel of dealing with aged bulls on high feed-- they are not the same as having pasture breeding bulls around. Could end up costing you a whole lot in fencing and possibly medical costs-- Why bother???

8 and 9 month old is aged? Granted, they are past the optimum age for castrasting, but I don't understand the aged part, could you please explain a little more? Thanks!

I think he means "breeding age". For every month that goes by,that bull calf will start to act like a real BULL.

LonghornRanch":2wgkzo56 said:
I think he means "breeding age". For every month that goes by,that bull calf will start to act like a real BULL.

Thanks, LonghornRanch, good point,

Being small to begin with, Dexters take a while to grow, so even at 16 mo., it isn't going to give you a whole lot of beef (depends on the size of your freezer?) It's less of a management problem to keep steers than bulls, and even at 8-9 months, they're capable of breeding and fighting about it (and they probably have horns, right?). If you have the space and pasture, I'd get the vet to castrate them, and keep them a little longer. We've got a very small 20 mo. steer who's due to go to the freezer as soon as we get an appointment. The first steer we did was 28 months and I guess we fed him too much, wonderful flavor, but surprised us with the amount of fat.

After 700- 900lbs( ie aged)-- bulls start to act like BULLS.

Then if you are thinking "I have a bull out in the pasture that doesn't give me any problems".........Isolating them and feeding them a HOT feed to put weight on with-- gives them a WHOLE different "attitude" than just having the same type bull out on pasture.

Then there is another change when they start laying down fat-- They don't move as much and can seem alot more docile-- but theres still a rageing bull in there and it can come out in a hurry-- when you least expect it.

Get a bull up to 1000- 1200lbs and there aren't many fences out there that will hold them-- if and when they decide to go. Then you are dealing with getting a BULL put back up. And I am assuming you have cows and another bull around????? Have neighbors with cows and a bull????
That can get real ugly fast.

Animals don't thrive when put up on feed alone-- if you cut them you can feed them out toghether. Trying to feed two bulls together-or even next to each other----- can go REAL bad.

Its just too fraught with danger and expense to even bother with-- Not saying it can't be done....... just --why bother.

Slaughtered....oh, sorry, processed our red angus bull last January...better carcass than most steers and was loaded with great flavor. Have talked this over with some of the and the concensus is that if he isn't all pumped up with testostrone chasing cows then he will be good eating.
Dmc

I agree that they should be castrated. We castrate everything that isn't going to be a breeder. To much trouble once that testosterone kickes in. Why mess with it. You are going to eat it not breed it anyways.
I am not sure about other states but in crappy california they are trying to make it impossible to sell a bull at auction to anyone other than slaughter houses without a semen test and a neg. trich test. So in CA it wouldn't make any sence to keep em a bull unless you want to put money into them before you sell em, if you do decide to sell em. Better prices for steers here anyways.

Hope this helps.

Double R

Latest posts