To shed or not to shed ?????????

Help Support CattleToday:

skyhightree1

Reaction score
Does anyone leave their tractor(s) outside in the weather ? I have one tractor that I do not shed at all because it's my business tractor and I use it everyday and its a P.I.T.A to keep taking off and putting back on the trailer. I can't really see any major differences in the machine from my ones stored inside my buildings except paint is faded some and a lil more surface rust.

Yea, I know what you mean I have my 2 row crop trators detailed and waxed and steam cleaned. But my 29hp long I leave out in the weather because it works everyday. If its gonna rain for a few days and I won't be using it I put a hay tarp over it. I put all my equip in buildings other than a sickle mower chisel plow and that long tractor.

I keep my 60hp JD diesel in the shed, and my two other 30+hp tractors outside. Main reason is I dont have room in my shed for all of em. But I use the bigger JD everyday, so thats why I keep it under roof.

We keep all our tractors and haying equipment inside. The tillage equipment sits outside due to lack of shed space. Tillage equipment loses the least value with weathering. It depends a lot on your weather to I guess. This time of year its nice to have a snow/ice free tractor "here". If you use your tractor outside all day, not sure if nights in the shed would make a lot of difference really- I see what you mean.

skyhightree1":gy1y6s22 said:
Does anyone leave their tractor(s) outside in the weather ? I have one tractor that I do not shed at all because it's my business tractor and I use it everyday and its a P.I.T.A to keep taking off and putting back on the trailer. I can't really see any major differences in the machine from my ones stored inside my buildings except paint is faded some and a lil more surface rust.

We built so we could shed everything - and leave equipment attached if we wanted to. Not one piece of equipment sits outside when not in use.

It is my livelihood and a heck of an investment.

We treat everything here like it has to last a life time - because in most cases it does!

Best to all

Bez

With a tractor that small you could put 4 posts in the ground and put a tin roof over it real cheap. Don't need sides or doors just a roof would help. It wouldn't cost much more to tin three sides and leave the front open.

If you really use it everyday and you would be unloading it off a trailer just to shed it for the night and then load again at daylight, Then no i would not do than either, but in any other case i would park everything i could under roof, it's worth it.

Yea, I own a tree service and landscaping business it truly does move everyday it stays hooked up to my chip dumptruck I never take it off. I thought about what kscattle said and i figured i could buy a cheap carport and back it under there and it would be protected.

skyhightree1":1iyrnkdb said:
Yea, I own a tree service and landscaping business it truly does move everyday it stays hooked up to my chip dumptruck I never take it off. I thought about what kscattle said and i figured i could buy a cheap carport and back it under there and it would be protected.

I think that would be a sound investment for you.

yea I should have did it many years ago as in 1998 when I got it but I didn't have the money then nor a house lol but i should have had one atleast in the last 12 yrs

Latest posts