To sell or not to sell?

Help Support CattleToday:

crimsoncrazy

Reaction score
This weekend would usually be the time we sell as we the norm is to take your cattle off the wheat by march 1 to get a crop. But they are predicting another winter storm. We sale at okc national and they are saying another big storm for Kansas. Here in central ok it might be a few inches of snow with more as you go north. Should we sell or wait a week?

Re:
Should we sell or wait a week?
I don't know!
What's their weight?
Will you make a profit off them if you sell them now, 1 week from now or 2 months from now?
What is your market now?
Do you need the money?
Do you have feed for them if you keep them?

I have sold calves for many many reasons, but never based on a weather report.

SL

If it will disrupt trucking the buyers might stay away i cant imagen anything worse than having a semi load of cattle setting on the side of the road in the snow

We feel there is 2 ways to look at that, A- like you are there wont be many buyers there, B- the sellers are thinking like you thus there wont be many cattle there and prices will go higher. At our market, way b seems to be the more normal outcome if a storm/holliday is predicted, but, your market ,may be different. If so, and you are worried, wait a week I guess.? Good luck on your marketing,
Jenna

I would wait until hwy are clear and buyers are at the auction. Buyer will not buy if the weather is bad where they are going and bad roads getting there.