To sell or not to sell...

Help Support CattleToday:

Velvet

Reaction score
:?: Help! :?:

We have about 30 cattle that we owned through a partnership with a neighbor. Most of the cattle were on the other guy's land. He recently sold his property sorta unexpected and now all the cows are on our 15 ares... I need help to know what to do....naturally we want to dissolve the partnership in such a way as to get as much for the investment as possible. I want to keep some cows for myself but don't have enough land or $$ to buy out my buddy. Should I sell the cows now or should I buy more hay and keep em till spring?

what do you think and why?

thank you so much!

since you only have 15acs an 30hd of cattle.i think id sell part or all of them to dissolve the partnership.that way the hay bill wont kill you.30hd will eat 90 bales or more till spring.an that will cost you $2700 or more for the hay.the most you could carry on 15acs is 15hd.

i dont know if yall resolved that yet or not. to me the most honest way to do that would be to take all the cattle to a sale barn and sale them in both of your names and split the check 50/50. you sit there and buy the ones back that you want to keep. you can use your half of the sellers check to pay for what you buy back have it deducted from you half of the check. i dont know how many you are wanting back to put on 15 acres but you should have enough left to buy hay for what you buy back.

dewey":1m2kgom8 said:
i dont know if yall resolved that yet or not. to me the most honest way to do that would be to take all the cattle to a sale barn and sale them in both of your names and split the check 50/50. you sit there and buy the ones back that you want to keep. you can use your half of the sellers check to pay for what you buy back have it deducted from you half of the check. i dont know how many you are wanting back to put on 15 acres but you should have enough left to buy hay for what you buy back.

Huh?

How bout since he put you in the lurch and you have been taking care of them you pick the ones you want (50%), sell the rest at 90/10 (10% for your trouble, feed and work)...... ;-) Their loss.

What are do you live in? How is the market there?

Can you lease some land?

If you sell you may only be able to keep 1/3 to 1/4th of them with 15 acres.