to sell..or not to sell..and eat??????

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

I have a 3 1/2 year old cow who has injured her back leg and it;s not healing. She is a herford/angus cross and I've grain fed her her. Should I sell her at the sale barn or will I get pretty good meat out of her still. I figure at the barn I would get a little over $600 for her. She been a trouble cow for me ever since she was a calf so she's growin wheels. Any thought's??????

If the injury is obvious, i.e. she limps or is an open wound, you'll get killed at the salebarn. As it is, at her age you'll still take a pretty good docking. You could just butcher her and while it's hangin have the butcher cut off a couple of ribeyes, the flavor will sure be there at her age, but the tenderness may not. If she's tough, grind her and make some of the best burger you've ever sunk a tooth into.

dun

Anonymous":3acz47s2 said:
I have a 3 1/2 year old cow who has injured her back leg and it;s not healing. She is a herford/angus cross and I've grain fed her her. Should I sell her at the sale barn or will I get pretty good meat out of her still. I figure at the barn I would get a little over $600 for her. She been a trouble cow for me ever since she was a calf so she's growin wheels. Any thought's??????

not healing?? is it an open type wound? does she have fever? infected?

you didnt give much info as to the type of injury that is not healing, so i cant say whether i would put her in my freezer or not.

if not sure, check with someone in your area that is knowledgable on this.

jt

I agree with Dun. I had a 7 year old that decided she didn't want her calf that we butchered. We had the filets pulled out and the rest ground. Even at that age the filets could be almost cut with a fork. If you've given her any antibiotics make sure you observe the withdrawl times.

Sorry about that, occasionally the fingers get ahead of the brain. Correct we butchered the cow, the now year old calf is alive and well.

Latest posts