To Pull, or Not To Pull ?

Help Support CattleToday:

Stocker Steve

Reaction score
Since we were too dry this spring - - I sold everything that did not calve in 45 days as a heavy bred. Now I am getting ready to make the next cut for late breeding. My preference is to leave the bulls in, but sell everything they tend after about 30 days, and not do a vet preg check. Any tips on how to do this better?

Last edited:
Problem is, a lot of breeding goes on when you're not watching. Especially if it's hot. Same for cow-on-cow to alert you when one's coming into heat.

When did you turn the bulls out? As a general rule, I don't preg check. After I pull the bulls, if I see any "action", that cow is suspect and I'll watch her for another cycle. Strike 2, she's out - most of the time. But with some of those girls I've trusted my gut and had her checked. Surprise!

To answer your question, I got nuthin. Better? That's subjective. Turn 'em out, pull 'em, trailer the suspected opens. They'll preg check them at the sale. You'll either do well or kick yourself with a younger (or fave) bred cow, but that's one less mouth to feed in your situation.

We usually winter the bulls with the cows, then pull them when calving starts. Tagging calves gets a little congested when you have both Mom and Dad up close. We started calving about May 1st.

We usually winter the bulls with the cows, then pull them when calving starts. Tagging calves gets a little congested when you have both Mom and Dad up close. We started calving about May 1st.
I used to do that. And ended up with a few bred heifer calves prior to weaning. Plus, it extended my calving season from spring only to the majority calving in the spring, the stragglers throughout the summer & early fall. Sold a lot of nice pairs, with mama bred (trifecta!) and started pulling the bulls a good 6 weeks prior to weaning, to get back to a 60 day calving window. And now, most calve within 45 days.

I used to do that. And ended up with a few bred heifer calves prior to weaning. Plus, it extended my calving season from spring only to the majority calving in the spring, the stragglers throughout the summer & early fall. Sold a lot of nice pairs, with mama bred (trifecta!) and started pulling the bulls a good 6 weeks prior to weaning, to get back to a 60 day calving window. And now, most calve within 45 days.
Do you mean to leave the bulls with the cows 3 months-90days then pull to keep a closer calving season? We have been leaving bulls year-round with the cows when the numbers were smaller under 20 cows. We are up to 60 cows pulled the bulls over the past winter put new bulls with cows in May plan to pull in August to have spring calves. This will help to keep the calving in one bunch right?

We used to expect 80% to calve in the first 21 days. Next spring we expect close to 100%. Leaving the bulls out does not effect this. How you manage late breeders does.

The really late ones went as burger last November. The over 45 days went as heavy bred in June. The over 21-30 days will go this fall since we are very short on feed.

Last edited:
Do you mean to leave the bulls with the cows 3 months-90days then pull to keep a closer calving season? We have been leaving bulls year-round with the cows when the numbers were smaller under 20 cows. We are up to 60 cows pulled the bulls over the past winter put new bulls with cows in May plan to pull in August to have spring calves. This will help to keep the calving in one bunch right?
Yes. You'll have a more uniform calf crop, which will make a difference when you sell them. And alleviate the potential for a bred heifer, but I still give all my heifer calves Lutalyse at weaning.