to pen or not to pen, that is the question

Help Support CattleToday:

I have finished singles and pairs in pens, up to 4-6 in small 2 acre pastures, and 10-20 at feed lots. The feed lots are way cheaper in terms of COG (and effort). More than 2 in a small pen takes to much effort to keep clean. But they will eat a little more, and faster, with 2 in a pen. I think it is due to each one just wanting to be sure he gets his share (or more) of the grain. Pen kept also helps with keeping them tender since their muscles don't get worked as much walking/running around and playing. Keeping the pen clean with even one though takes more effort than pasture kept and the pen can get to be a mucky mess in the winter if not in a well drained area. I always finish my pen and pasture kept ones in the fall thru winter here in Texas since they gain better in cooler temps so green grass is not much of a consideration. Are the pastures still green in Canada?

My grass is still green and even growing some but the cows want a little hay now. The horses don't want any yet. I can't afford to pen and grain finish my calves, here grain is sold in 44 lb sacks for $10 - $14 but I can grass finish at around 17 months give or take, 600 to 700 lb hot on the rail (no scale for live weight). Vancouver Island BC Canada