to much white clover

Help Support CattleToday:

jbar

Reaction score
i got wat to much clover in my pastures,cows are bloating , stockers are bloating, 3 dead so far.
bloat blocks not helping.
some say put in and out some say not too.
never had this before.
didnt plant it just came up this spring.

Last year we had clover coming up everywhere in places that it hadn;t been planted. So far this year it looks to be about the same.

dun":2ocs20jm said:
Last year we had clover coming up everywhere in places that it hadn;t been planted. So far this year it looks to be about the same.

Ladino is having a banner yr. in middle TN to this point.

try putting out loose HI MAG minerals.that should stop the bloat.from what you say the cows havent been grazing the pastures all the time.an thats why they are bloating so bad because they not used to it yet.you may need to control graze them.in 2 or 3hrs then drive them out an shut the gates.

By chance do you rotate grazing? Turning hungry cattle in heavy clover pastures is asking for trouble.

they where in there about 3 weeks then bloated, pulled them from that one put in other one which i tought had less clover bloat got worse,so now i am grazing after dew is off for 3-4 hours or until it starts to rain which is every day i never though i would have to much grass.
i got bloat blocks out high mag mineral, i am going to start feeding hay.
isnt that crazy feeding hay because i have too much grass.
i think rain is what made the last one bloat.
by the way one mineral co. said put out high mag and another one said mag wasnt needed with clover.
so i am doing both.
one thing about it with all the moving of cattle my dogs have plenty of work and it makes the cattle gentle. there is always a silver lining.

Stocker Steve":1nqvve8w said:
dun":1nqvve8w said:
Last year we had clover coming up everywhere in places that it has not been planted. So far this year it looks to be about the same.

What kind of conditions cause this?

Based on last year and this (the years of clover over abundance) a cooler and much wtter then normal spring.

Are you feeding them anything at all except for grazing the clover?

If you limit their grazing time make sure you have straw or hay available at all times when not on clover, they will eat the straw and because straw is so much slower to digest it will cause them not to overfill on the clover and so the bloat problem will be eliminated.

If you are giving them any other form of palatible feed you can topdress the feed with mineral oil, (no need for bloatguard) and that will also eliminate the bloat. Any oil will work as long as its clean.

I have been putting laundry soap in there water.And there grazing pasture with least amount of clover.
Bring there in close to the house at nite so i can watch and work dogs.Havnt had any more bloat.
Vet told me about the soap deal he had lost one also.

Latest posts